Replacing burner on 1960's American Standard Boiler..

My 1960's American Standard boiler has the original burner unit which sits on a V shaped steele hook (for the lack of a better word)..I have a like new Becket burner given to me by my dad that bolts on that came off an identical boiler that was converted from the hinge type like I have..The bottom rusted out in my dad's because of being in a dirt cellar which was also wet and had to be replaced but he kept and gave me the like new Becket burner...My boiler is in a dry cement daylight basement and still in very good condition...He hired out his conversion so he doesn't know what they did...At 70 he doesn't get around good...Any hoot...How does one go about doing that ??? Can I just drill the holes and bolt it on ?? I do most of the work on my boiler so I know the basics...My old burner unit still works good but it is getting very hard to get parts for so I need to do something before another Maine winter... Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...A new boiler is out of the question at this time...No mon no fun...

Reply to
benick

a brand new boiler might pay for itself in just a few years.

i would get pro help or at least some pro advice you wouldnt want you bolier to quit heating on a zero day:(

Reply to
bob haller

"benick" wrote

You can get a new boiler with little or no cash outlay. You missed the federal tax credit, but there may still be state rebates available, state 0% financing available. I put in a System 2000 by Energy Kinetics a couple of years ago. My fuel savings is 40% over my old boiler. At 2.85 a gallon, the savings was more than the payment. At $3.75 a gallon, I'm way ahead for the year, not to mention more reliable and comfortable.

My house used to use about 800 to 850 gallons a year. Now I'm using about

480. In 2010, based on degree days, my oil boiler our have used 838 gallons, my new on actually used 501, a savings of 337 gallons. At current fuel prices, that is $1878 saved. Payments to the state for a 0% loan is $804. In my pocket is $1000.

But, it is your money and spend it as you see fit. You can make the oil man very happy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski