Choosing a new boiler?

I've had 3 oil companies out to look at our HB smith boiler. We had it installed 17 years ago. (the original boiler was about 25 - 30 years old) Looks like major corrosion between the 3rd and 4th plates. Everyone says you wouldn't know if its repairable unless they take it apart and at that point it may never go back together again???? The tankless water heater coil also has major corrosion on the outside so that would have to be replaced... We had replaced this coil about 7-8 years ago.

I'm told it may last 5 years or 5 hours, no way to know!!

about $1000 to maybe repair or it looks like $5,000 to replace.

Everyone says the boiler is oversized for the house..

I'm also getting two prices from everyone. One with the tankless water heater and one with an indirect water heater. A 40 gallon tank that would be heated by the furnace.

Our install is in a crawlspace. In a pit in the cement floor so our choice of boiler is somewhat limited to having to fit the space.

I'm waiting for the last quotes to come in for comparison.

Any info on boilers with tankless hot water or the indirect water heater would be helpful

TIA

Steve

Reply to
steve

I'd go with any decent cast iron boiler. My preference is Peerless, then Weil-McLain, then Crown. I think Buderus is fine as well. Whatever I got I'd want a Beckett burner on it, unless quiet operation is important, then I'd get a Riello burner. I'd forget about a coil and go with a phase 3 or Weil McLain Gold Ultra indirect and I'd stay away from Amtrol boiler-mate

Reply to
RBM

One company suggested a Steel boiler...

What would the pros vs cons of the tankless vs waterless be?

Other than replacing it at about $700 a pop, (we would need the 2nd replacement now) It has been good at supplying water. With the boiler in a crawlspace, we would put the indirect tank about 10 feet away in a closet next to the crawlspace. this would allow for a 40 gallon tank.

We havent gotten all the quotes yet but it looks like the indirect will be about $2000 more than just a boiler with a coil in it...

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
steve

See how your other quotes come in. Steel boilers won't last as long as any cast iron unit. If the coil has been working well, then get another, you can always add an indirect at a later date, and the labor should be pretty much the same

Reply to
RBM