Need mason's chisel sharpened

Any ideas how I can find a store that will sharpen a mason's chisel? The local Home Depot is useless, as usual, and Google isn't helping either.

I'm in the north end of Irving, TX, (Valley Ranch) if anyone reading this is local.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ian Pilcher

Is there some reason you can't sharpen it yourself? A bench grinder is the best tool for that job, but it can be done with a file too (if you're patient).

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug Miller wrote: > Is there some reason you can't sharpen it yourself? A bench grinder is the

I don't have a bench grinder, and I'm certainly not going to purchase one just for a one-time task. I did give it a go with a file, but I found that I can't keep the file at the right angle for the *extended* period of time that it takes to make any progress.

Reply to
Ian Pilcher

Try a grinder with a cut off wheel. Got a black smith or welding shop around? They will have the proper tools.

Reply to
SQLit

Ian,

SQlit has the right idea. Any machine shop will have a bench grinder. Any place that sharpens lawn mowers will have a bench grinder. I would bet that there are sharpening services listed in your phonebook.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

It might be cheaper to buy a bench grinder than to pay someone else to sharpen the chisel for you...

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Ian Pilcher" wrote

You probably have a saw sharpening shop or shop that sharpens lawn mower blades close by. I would be willing to bet they'll gladly accept a new customer for a reasonable fee.

Reply to
CC

Or just buy a new chisel.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Starting to sound as if the original poster is too tight to buy a new chisel for a one-time task as well.

What ten bucks? Or thirty for a cheap grinder.?

Or.... this is a troll.

Reply to
3rd eye

How sharp is a masonry chisel supposed to be, anyway? Aren't you cutting bricks with it?

Reply to
default

As a kid cleaning bricks, I always kept the very edge at 45-degree faces, but the chisel itself had a flat side and a tapered, almost curving one. Once you get the hang of it, a brick hammer is a lot faster for most tasks.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers