kitchen update $s

Question - for those who have gone through a kitchen update or a familiar with the process, can a kitchen be updated for $20,000. First let me say, that I do have calls placed out to local contractors for estimates, but before they arrive, I wanted to get a handle on what others have paid. I am looking at replacing the 40+ year old cabinets (the kitchen is small approx. 12 X 9) and have pretty much decided on Diamond. I am looking to replace appliances and estimate the cost at $4,000. I would like granite countertops, but am willing to settle for less. I would like to have a half wall divider between kitchen and diningroom removed, and a french door to replace a large window that now exists in the diningroom. Finally I would like laminate flooring put in the kitchen. Am I crazy for thinking this can be done for $20,000 which is the max of my budget? Thanks for any input. Regards, Dunzley

Reply to
Dunzley

Not sure about the granite counter tops but in most parts of the country it should be do-able. You are going to have to shop and maybe sweat a bit on a little of the grunt work to do it for 20K

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

it could be done for a lot less, or a lot more. it depends upon what you chose for items.

you could figure granite at $50/sqft, floor at $7-10/ft, cabinets at $100-130/running foot. appliances, fixtures, knobs, stove hood, sink. carpentry, plumbing, electrical, ducts. you didn't figure anything for lighting.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

"Dunzley" wrote

As of now, you got 4k spent out of the 20k. You have 16k to work with. An estimated 2k for counter, now down to 14k to work with. Do you want a $1,500 door or a 3k door for something decent? Take the 3k door and your down to 11k not including reframing/drywall/exterior labor and materials. Basically you have 10k to do the rest, depends on your cabinet door styles, hardware, interior upgrades such as roll out shelves etc. Say 4k allowance for cabinets, you now have 6k for sink, disposal,faucet, lighting,flooring,paint,trimwork,half wall material, additional electrical or upgrades plus labor for kitchen R&R. Personally, if you're not DYIing it, I think 20k is a bit low. I would not cheap out on flooring material since this will get a lot of use.

Reply to
Kirby