Melted

How on earth would it be illegal to have an adapter like the one in my photo, but with no plug? It would just be unusable.

Anyway, you most certainly can buy a strip of sockets with no plug. You wire it yourself using the length of wire you require.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ah the usual intelligent reply from the village idiot.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My my, what a huge amount of knowledge you're imparting to the group.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My my, what a huge amount of knowledge you're imparting to the group.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We obviously need a European directive on what it should be called to avoid confusion to those who can't understand English. Or perhaps a link to Wiki showing one.

I've heard several people refer to plugs when they mean sockets. As in 'that room has plenty of plugs' But plug socket isn't open to confusion - just a bit wordy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 09:23:46 +0100, Uncle Monster w= rote:

end of a grown man's thumb instead of the size of his fist as it is in = the UK. The plugs for 240vac circuits are pretty much the same size as y= our 220vac circuits in the UK but are normally rated for higher currents= . It's been a long time since I did any electrical work but 30amp rated = clothes dryer cords were previously 3 wire but changed to 4 wire which i= ncluded a ground/earth conductor for new construction some years ago if = I'm remembering correctly. A fellow named Greg from Florida who posts he= re was an electrical inspector so he knows the electrical code inside an= d out. I miss blowing things up. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

But our cable can be half the thickness. And the plugs aren't that big = just to accommodate current. They can't get yanked out of sockets like = your flimsy little things (I've got a couple of chargers with USA plugs = I got cheap that I use in adapters). And they're very easy to wire up.

-- =

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on newsgroups and in e-mail?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

I'd have thought they'd be big fat lumps.

-- =

Pat Glenn, weightlifting commentator - "And this is Gregoriava from Bulg= aria. I saw her snatch this morning and it was amazing!"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

110v requires heavier duty wiring for a given wattage. And with the US limit of amperage per 110v standard outlet means things we consider the norm, like say a fan heater for emergencies, is going to be near useless.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even a 1500W hoover is going to be a problem. That would need a 14A flex, if their tiny plugs could handle it. Who knows what happens with 3000W kettles.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Of course it's open to confusion. Half the title says plug and half says socket, so it could be either. It's like saying "put the cat in out".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They don't have them and they arent stupid enough to drink tea anyway.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Eggzactly.

Reply to
FMurtz

Unlikely for someone to be confused between an electrical socket and a hip joint socket.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

Whoops! For some reason a triple adapter decided to melt. Two things were plugged in at the time, both rated at 1kW, one switched on, one not. Both devices are still functional and undamaged. No fuses have blown, including the one in the photo, although when I noticed the problem (the day after I was using the 1kW device which I switched off normally the day before) neither device would operate, presumably the fuse had fallen out of the holder. >I can only assume there was an arc due to a loose fuse? There was a slight dodgy smell when I was using the device yesterday, but I couldn't work out what it was.

Why do you ask? I thought nothing was beyond your control and wisdom. Why don't you repair it your way? Ignore gov't std's and just twist wires together and insulate them with bubble gum. After all you have more wisdom and knowledge than the rest of us.

I disagree with your analysis...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

+1 How dare you doubt the X spirt? JWS knows all...
Reply to
Tekkie®

Alan Dawes posted for all of us...

Sock it to me!!!!

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:41:21 +0100, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

I'm intelligent enough to work out what "socket" means without needing a= n adjective before it.

-- =

Money can't buy you true love. It does however put you in a good bargaining position.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword