Lowes vs. Home Depot

The locals here have learned one thing about the stores.

(this is on stock items)

If you want it fast, go to Lowes. If you want it cheap, go to Homer.

I will never buy anything special order from them. Period. My customers ( and the NG readers) tell of horror stories about cabinets and special lighting, etc.

Mr Curious, which do you work for, HD or Lowes?

Reply to
HeatMan

Read my other post on this....

Reply to
HeatMan

Having a home in S. Florida and an H.O. insurance company that 'actually' pays off, I'm a big costomer of both. I redid all my doors and windows in my Fla home. Lowes was a good place for the doors and HD had a better window selection.

Installation was better with HD as they were more professional. But it is a crap shoot, because they sub it out anyway..

Basically.... Lowes is female and HD is male. Lowes is democrat and HD is repulican..

When I need girlie home improvement stuff , Lowes is 'usually' the place. IE appliaces or kitchen cabinets and countertops..

Lowes is usually good for cheap cement and fence posts, bricks and sticks. Today I saved over 3 bucks on some heat tape for my copper tubing at Lowes..I would have guessed HD..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

Nahhhhh. It burns oil just fine.

Reply to
Al Bundy

He said they were moonlighting tradesmen. You know, the ones that make $35 an hour on their regular job, then go to Home Depot to make $7.50 for a few extra bucks spending money.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You need extra spending money at $35 bucks an hour?

Reply to
Eigenvector

I can only go by what they told me at HD. I think they said the company that's replacing Mills Pride is RSA. They also said that Mills Pride should be available as "special order only" from here on out.

I did get my cabinets today, by the way. They must've weighed about 2 tons since my cargo trailer was riding on the axles.

-Jeff

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Reply to
jeffreydesign

Believing that you have all the money you need, is a sign of mental illness. Even for Bill Gates.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Reply to
ng_reader

Finding the keyboard operational ng_reader entered:

It really depends on the individual store not the sign outside. If I am at work and need something that the local hardware doesn't have, I go to HD first, 2 miles. If it's under $10 and I can find it right away, I'm done. I have pretty much memorized the inventory so I can find it fast. Over $10 I can shop HD and then go 5 miles down the road to check Lowes. I can either buy it there or pickit up on the way back. If I am comparing the first thing I do is go online and shop there. Sometimes I through in Sears for a laugh. Then I head for the winner. The reall difference comes when shoppig from home. If the local hardware/lumber doesn't have it or is out of line pricewise, I head to HD. The local one is in a predominatly Spainish speaking area. I have never not been greeted with a sincere smile and never had any trouble getting help. It might be in broken English but we get the job done. None of the HDs have the "secure" tool area but the Lowes does. I have never had a big problem with the self checkout, in fact I prefer it. And I have never had more then a glance and a check mark from the loss prevention guy. Guss I'm just one lucky sot. Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

on the contrary, my friend. neither.

my wonderment came in dollars and cents mostly. that's all.

admittedly, i tittered out loud over the bloke with the edger blades stacked all neat and tidy.

appreciate the information on the self-check out lanes. however, i will use them to speed things up.but i will feel *guiltier*

i love true hardware stores but they are all gone now, the big-box stores forced them out. pity, too, because the selection is poor and the price outrageous. what man can call himself a man and by buying hardware in a little plastic baggy hanging on a hook? embarrassing.

i will continue to use both. however, as a post-script, the HD that moved out of willow grove to go into willow grove to compete with Lowes, really, really messed up on egress. the new entrance is only accessible across from the turnpike exit. which, if you don't know what a turnpike is, that's a bad thing. that more than anything is going to keep me away.

Reply to
ng_reader

My point exactly....

Reply to
HeatMan

Ah I think I understand what you mean there. Subtle, too subtle for this group.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Yep

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

jeffreydesign posted for all of us...

Where does it usually ride? The railroad?

Reply to
Tekkie®

We now have a brand-new HD in our area, and indeed there is no sign of Mill's Pride.

Nevertheless, the MP Web site still links to HD.

I wonder whether it's a purely local thing. Perhaps HDs in poorer areas still have MP, while stores in more affluent areas do not.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

If it's only a week old, it ma y be that some of the products haven't come in yet. Well, the one that opened near me seemed to be fully stocked, but a very nice clerk said that not evwerything was in, and they spread out what they had to fill the shelves. I'm really not sure. I was looking for a particular glue, and it's been momnths now and their glue section looks like it did the first week.

Reply to
mm

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This does vary from store to store, or website to store. If you have a upc number for that product, any store can do a local search to find out if any close by Home Depots still carry that product.

Mark

Reply to
Kram