leaking dishwasher different cause

Anyone else encounter this?

I see water leaking from bottom of dishwasher door.

After some searching I find the cause. The dishwasher has a steam vent near the top of the door. When I pry off the plastic grill, the vent is full of caked on dishwasher cleaning powder.

The baffles in the vent weren't working to stop water from getting out.

Think I'm going to switch back to liquid cleaner.

Reply to
Dan Espen

How does the powder get up to the vent, it is well above the normal water level. Any moisture that gets up that high that contains soap should also get the rinse moisture that would wash it off. A liquid soap will also have chemicals , just already dissolved. Are you using MUCH too much powdered soap? We have slghtly hard water and never fill either of the two dispensers more than half full and everything comes out clean.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Dan Espen wrote the following:

I use the 'Finish' dishwasher product that comes in small white squarish tablets with a round blue rinse agent in the center of the tablet. They fit right in the detergent dispenser. I too had that powdered detergent problem but mine was worse. It clogged the waste pipe that ran underground to the dry well. Lucky my son-in-law is a building contractor as it required a backhoe to dig up the pipe since it was winter and the ground was frozen solid. We found the 4" pipe almost completely closed near the entrance to the dry well, with a white, solid granular type clog that could hardly be broken up with a screwdriver. We had to replace that portion of the pipe. We threw away the Cascade powdered detergent and switched to the Finish tablets.

Reply to
willshak

From carelessly spilling it in there when filling the dispenser?

=A0Any moisture that gets up that high that contains soap

Reply to
trader4

When I put in the powder I 3/4 fill the 2 places in the door intended for that purpose. One has a lid that snaps open during the washing cycle. I do most of the dish washing.

As far as I know, I'm using the right amount and not spilling a lot but I can't swear to what other people in the house may have done.

I'm just reading on Wikipedia that some "cheap" powders contain sand. I did see some black soap grains when I cleaned out the blockage. There was a lot of white stuff too. Obviously some of the powder was getting into the water stream and not dissolving before it reached the vent.

Reply to
Dan Espen