Lava

It doesn't matter. A thousand dollar house or one worth millions. Quite a few houses in Hawaii are gone. Many people in Guatamala are dead. We have tornadoes on the U.S. plains. They're nothing compared to this.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

More pictures of the people:

I always pictured lava as slow moving. No so.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 6/7/2018 6:51 AM, Uncle Monster wrote: ...

Build and live in shadow of active volcano...get the expected result occasionally.

Reply to
dpb

Agreed but IMO, those such as in Hawaii choose to live within the foundations of their paradise while those in the third world poor countries don't often have that choice. It's not a luxury for them as most remained where they were raised cause they can't afford to relocate. Thus, my empathy is deep for them whereas not present for those with luxury homes who risk it to have their paradise.

Reply to
Meanie

and the same people that deliberately build in risky places should not expect the rest of us to subsidize them when a natural disaster occurs.

Reply to
Frank

smart homeowners would fill their houses with toxic waste that they charge "generators" a more affordable disposal method

Reply to
ZZyXX

+1
Reply to
Meanie

It depends upon the kind of lava. Some goes zipping along, another type is very slow, just sort of rolls along at the leading age. In Hawaii, one is calleed a'a, the other pahohoe. A'a is full of gas, hardens with millions of holes with sharp edges. Pahoehoe is viscous, can flow uphill, hardens smooth and slick.

Reply to
dadiOH

There were almost no pineapple plantations on Hawaii. A small presence around Kohala in the far north. Few if any left on Oahu. one for tourism. Previously, many on Lanai, probably some on Maui and Kauai. None of those has an active volcano. Closest would be Maui with Halekala which last erupted in the 1600s.

The primary ag crop everywhere was sugar, followed by pineapple.. Most of both is gone. Some cattle too, largest private ranch in Hawaii is the Parker Ranch. The area where Kilauea has been erupting since the 80s is mostly undeveloped forest.

The pineapple you buy in your market is no longer from Hawaii but from Mexico, Central and South America. Same for sugar.

Reply to
dadiOH

Actually, the sugar I buy is from Michigan.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

You can't beet Michigan sugar!

Reply to
Official a.h.r Nymshifter

I work in a sugar beet factory, or at least it processed beets fifty years or so ago...

There still are sugar processors in the state though:

rbowman

dadiOH posted for all of us...

What about "The Blob"?

Reply to
Tekkie®

And wasn't most of the death in Guatemala not from the lava itself, but from all the muck and such pushed downhill that swept people away, buried them, etc from the sudden explosion? Those people in HI were the focus of all the attention, the big news story, until G hit. Shortly after the HI volcano took out hundreds of homes, about 4x the previous total in just a day and it didn't get as much attention as they previously did when it was only a few houses.

Reply to
trader_4