Should pool equipment be protected from the rain or doesn't it matter?

I'm in the process of having my pool renovated, and the equipment is back in. There used to be a cover over the equipment, but it was taken down when we bought the house because the supports were termite infested.

I'm in the process of building a new cover out of 3" PVC for supports. But is all this necessary. Does it matter if the pumps get rained on?

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

Alot of factors have to be figured in , sun, rain, humidity, a pump , maybe not its sealed.

Reply to
m Ransley

yes it does that is why it was covered to start with. Electricity and water do not mix well! Put a tarp over it when it is raining. Build a quick frame from scrap lumber if it is going to be for a while!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

I'd think that it must depend on the equipment you have. My neighbor's pool filter, pump, etc sit exposed to the sky and have done so for, at a guess,

20 years and everything still works fine. From that I'm fairly certain that this particular equipment must be sealed for such use. Either that or they are the luckiest people in the world and after their experiences with the solar hot water and pool heaters I don't think that could be. Any chance you can find documentation for the equipment? Perhaps from the company that installed it originally or from the manufacturer?
Reply to
John McGaw

PVC may not be your best choice, unless you plan on filling it with concrete and some rebar. Here in the sunny South west Plastic only last a few years. Steel, painted and properly installed will last forever. You already mentioned the termites. Some 1inch square stock would be a piece of cake. Small footings, a drill and some 2.5 inch 1/4-20 bolts and washers. Once you put the roof on you will never touch it again. Just my view

Reply to
SQLit

I live in FL. My pump and filter sit out in the open. The motor has a loose metal cover - it all just came that way. I guess it's sealed because we've had it 12 years and there's been no problem.

Here in FL many outdoor things are made from PVC pipe. Next to termites, rust may be our biggest enemy. Don't recommend using metal if you can avoid it.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

Hey Steven! Most cities nowadays have an electrical inspector who goes out and examines things like your pool pumps and lights to make sure they conform to the National Electrical Code (NEC). Now, that doesn't mean that yours does! Could be that the person who installed your equipment was a jackleg electrician who didn't have a clue what the National Electrical Code means. If if meets current NEC guidelines, the equipment should operate just fine, and safely, exposed to the elements. Why don't you have a licensed electrician take a look at it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill