ABS or PVC does it matter?

Typically around here drains are in ABS, a bit cheaper. Call your inspector and ask them the question. Usually inspectors are happy to help someone do it right.

Reply to
SQLit

Ironically, even though ABS is still the most commonly available pipe in my area (Washington State), I found the PVC pipe and fittings to be slightly less expensive.

Somewhere early in my planning, I also heard that PVC was supposed to be "slightly" stronger than ABS. I don't know if that's true or not, or that it even matters for most applications. It's not usually pressurized or subjected to any real force.

I chose PVC primarily because I was already familiar with using PVC on water supply lines. I had also had a leak with an ABS joint I glued up once (most likely my technique and not the material), so that made me a little apprehensive too. However, PVC requires a separate primer (cleaner) and solvent, whereas ABS uses a single solvent. So PVC is slightly more work to install.

In any case, I've frequently used both types of plumbing, and they generally work equally well. Some parts of the country use ABS the most, other parts use PVC. Choose the type that you have commonly available, with the widest selection of fittings, and whatever the inspector will pass (ask first).

I asked my inspector what type he preferred, and he didn't care either way, as long as I used the appropriate thickness, fittings, and solvents.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

The production of ABS is slightly less environmentally harmful. ABS requires only a one step solvent glue; PVC requires a solvent primer before the solvent glue.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I plan to extend my cast iron DWV line with plastic to a new bathroom I have planned. Looks like I can use either PVC or ABS. Is there any reason I should use one instead of the other or does it come down to what does my local store stock more of. Will an inspector even care which I choose as long as I use the right cement?

Reply to
PipeDown