How much does it probably cost to change countertop to granite?

I am considering to change the kitchen tile countertop to granite. How much would it cost probably? Just a standard kitchen, I have not measured the size yet... Including an island.

Any idea? or how much per sqft?

Thanks.

Reply to
talkingcell

I am in Seattle... if this information is necessary for price estimate.

Reply to
talkingcell

$2868.00

Reply to
Thurston Howell

Granite slab (2'x6', 2'x8' or 2'x10') with bullnose $3.25/sf and up. Left or right edge bullnose add $20-30 per side.

Granite tile (12"x12") $2.00/sf and up.

4" Back splash $20 and up per 8' section.

Installed $50 - $200/sf or up.

As you can see most of the cost is in the labor. I'm in the Bay Area so adjust for Seattle.

Reply to
Fred

You need to figure the area (size) and what thickness you'd prefer. Also, what you want to do for a backsplash. Then there are the costs for cutting it, the cost for what style edge you want. And finally, the pattern of the granite varies.

Ballpark estimate might be 10 thousand, but who knows.

Reply to
FDR

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:20:10 GMT "Art" posted:

Isn't it marble that you have to worry about, not granite?

Isn't that related to the marble tombstones rotting in the acid rain, and earlier I think.

I think granite stones look new for 100's of years.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

$60 to $100 a square foot

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is that with tax? Seriously, one concern I've always had about granite is someone spilling the wrong stuff on top......

Reply to
Art

"talkingcell" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

We just did our kitchen . The price of the granite is based on how many slabs you need ( most places wont sell half a slab ) The granite price can very $7 a sq. ft. and up. Most the stuff we looked at was about $12 to $15 sq. ft. the slab size can very. For our kitchen we needed 4 slabs. This included a small built desk and a wet bar full back splashes. We found a granite we liked $25 a sq. ft. granite cost about $6000. installation was $9000. I did all the tear out of the tile myself and put the plywood tops on cabinets ( the wanted $1200 for the tear out.) on the back splashes I just tore the tile and sheetrock off and put up 1/2" ply.From what I have been told when they do the tear out what ever little bit of sheetrock is left on the walls is what they glue to. Now for some advice, Try to find a Co. that sells the granite and installs it. Most granite suppliers sell you the granite and give you a handful of installers cards. My problem with that is, It's way to easy to pass the buck if there is a problem. When you get to the kitchen sink if you are using an under mount sink ( for looks you can't beat IMO) It will most likely be deeper than your existing sink ( ours is 10" deep) you might have to lower trap adaptor, this could be a last minute ass pain. I have been told there are allot of hacks installing so ask to look at some jobs. One more thing we spent allot more than we planed ( new sink's , fixtures, cook top ) but end results is incredible, we bought granite with ALLOT of movement and we did make the big picture book at Cassarino stone. There is nothing that compares to mother natures art.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Yes

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In Greece, where marble is cheap (and my mom's uncle actually owned a mine) you see it everywhere. Kitchen & bath floors, counter tops. And yet we had a relative who had the Greek Formica distrib in the 1950s.

We've had Formica in our house since 1965 and it's in perfect shape. Why do you want the trouble?

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Home Depot has marble tile $5-12/sq ft. How bloody thick is your granite?

After all.. For-MICA is rock, too.. just thin..

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

That's more like it.. Besides, the housing bubble has finally burst (last week front cover economist.com) and your contractors will soon become students in humility soon

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Yeah, but add to that "Land - man can't make it and god ain't makin' anymore"

Reply to
G Henslee

Not everyone likes Formica. Granite looks very nice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Were do you live? Are these the same economist that said the interest rates cant go any lower 3 years ago? I'm sure the market is going to slow down or drop,but when? who knows? But I do no one thing in Real Estate what go's down must go up. Just like in the 90tys.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Reply to
noone

In by Sacramento Dave on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:32:10 GMT we perused:

*+- Were do you live? Are these the same economist that said the interest

Well, I believe we've had a minor drop here in the past year. But I can't be sure. economist.com showed UK down 30%.. Australia like 10% and the USA just now nudging down..

*+-down or drop,but when? who knows? But I do no one thing in Real Estate what `-> a know no? (@_@) I see my NYC/LI house overvalued about 65% and would not be surprised if it ends up undervalued by 65% in five years, when I hope to be well off to buy up.. I see them taking a $350k house and still keeping some of the inner structure (and haz mats) making a king-sized MacMansion that leaves almost no yard and selling it for $1mln as "new".. many of the extensions seem rather flakey - I can't see those "sistered" beams holding the shear stress.. (recall KC MO 1981?)

I had friends who bought condos out of college in the 1980s and then held on to them as investments because they would lose their money.. they ended up recouping the money from tax breaks for repairs.. but they never had the money to really buy a house once they got married, because it was sunk into the overpriced condo.. most of them are waiting for prices to go down NOW to buy..

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at

Damn, you're good. That's how much my brother's cost last week!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon