Jackpot (was tap washer replacement)

I posted a couple of days ago about replacing a washer on a tap (faucet for you 'merkins). I was stymied by the lack of an obvious way to get the handle off in the absence of any visible means of removal and in the presence of a glued piece of granite where I thought a screw should be. The consensus of the group was that the granite has been placed post facto by a decorator.

I am pleased to report that you guys were right, and that although the little piece of granite did break (despite our use of Jeff's suggestion to heat it up with a hair dryer first - epoxied on DOH!), it did in fact conceal the screw and the handle was removed without incident.

Of of course it concealed a cartridge type of assembly..(note to the pedantic among you - I may not have the right term, forgive me)..so now we have to look all over hells half acre for a replacement, as it wasn't at the local hardware store.

However I expect that since reassembly was straightforward (to let them turn the water back on for the weekend so we can do the big hunt at a more mutually convenient time), reassembly with the replacement part should be equally straightforward.

Reply to
Sue

Let me be among the first to congratulate your perseverence and skill Sue.

The sod who epoxied those stones on should be condemned have his/her teeth epoxied together and be force fed a diet of well rotted used faucet washers marinated in drain cleaner.....via the other end of his alimentary tract.

You should be able to find replacement cartridges for most any kind of faucets at one of the big box stores like Lowes or Home Cheepo.

Cheers,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You should also be able to find at the big box (or certainly at a local Plumbing Supply store) a regular cap to cover the faucet screw. If the epoxy from the botch job by the decorator prevents you from using the genuine replacement screw cover, you should be able to buy a replacement for the entire faucet handle itself and put an OEM cap on that.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob