Tap washers - how to get the tap off?

Hi I have a mixer tap, I removed the plastic screw covers from the hanldes which indicate what the tap is i.e. hot or cold.

I was expecting to see a release screw which I would undo to get at the valve release nut. There was no screw

Its hard to describe but instead of a screw there the handle seems screwed onto a piece of metal which goes into the body of the mixer. It looks like a cross shape - it seems if it was screwed in from inside the mixer tap! Nothing you can do with a screw driver

I've tried pulling hard to pull the handles off. Turning them untill they go no further and then some. No joy.

I even had a plumber in to do some other stuff and he didn't know what to do.

Help The Drip drip is driving me mad...

Reply to
Yitzak

Pull the plastic coloured indicator under the lever off and see if you can see a screw or allen key to be turned in the hole.

Reply to
EricP

Have you tried 'knocking' them off with an upwards or sideways motion away from the tap body? Using suitable protectoin for the handles etc. It is difficult to visualise your tap from your description, any chance of a digital photo or else the make of tap?

HTH

John

P.S. Get a new plumber! Any plumber worth his salt would be able to work it out, especially when he's stood in front of it!

Reply to
John

The plumber was there to instal a cistern for me. I thought at last I've found a plumber - very disappointed when he couldn't work it out.

I knew I wouldn't be able to describe it properly.

How would I post an image file of the tap (that is if the picture would come out?)

Thanks

Reply to
Yitzak

Get the image file and stick it on a web site.

If you don't have a web site, email it to me as an attachment and I'll put it up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Posted this with OE didn't appear - so here goes using google..

Yitzak