How to lubricate this door hinge?

The fire-rated door from my house to the garage is squeaking like crazy for months. I was going to use graphite or oil to fix the squeak, and then realized that I don't if there's a pin to remove. Photos here:

I'm not familiar with this hinge, it's name, or how to lubricate. Many thanks for your advice. Theodore.

Reply to
Theodore

Try a few drops of sewing machine oil. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'd try a few drops of oil on the top and see if it seeps down. You could try 3 in 1 ir even a shot of WD40 if you have it. Try a little at the joints too.

Won't take much to stop the squeak.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Holycow! It's a self-closing hinge?! I never knew that. None of the pins were ever installed in it. Thank you all very much for the insight and the advice on how to stop the squeak.

Reply to
Theodore

I guess it's needed oiling for quite some time!

Reply to
micky

I think it's a safety regulation <?> to have the door between the garage and living quarters installed with springed hinges - - carbon monoxide donchya know. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Your original post says it's a new hinge. You also wrote there that the other new hinge attached to the same door doesn't squeak. Last year I had all 3 of mine replaced because after 30 years, the spring tension was insufficient to fully close the door. However, neither the old ones nor any of the new ones squeak. They shouldn't squeak. Your squeaking hinge is defective. You're in for chronic, periodic squeaking even if you succeed in eliminating the squeak at this time. I'd remove it, return it, and insist on a free replacement.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Agreed. Either sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 at the top of the hinge should gradually fix the problem.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 19:40:17 -0800 (PST), Theodore posted for all of us to digest...

How ya doing Arlen?

Reply to
Tekkie©