water freezing

IIUC, when water (or anything else) freezes, it emits heat, quite a bit of heat, and that slows the freezing of the adjacent water. Right?

Reply to
micky

Ya know, there are some good college basketball games on this afternoon. West Virginia beat Texas right at the end after being down 15 or 20 points. Stanford is going to triple overtime with Washington State tied at 76.

Dean Hoffman

What exactly constitutes adjacent water? If it's container of water put into a freezer it's all cooling down together, some areas will cool faster than others and freeze first.

Reply to
trader_4

I guess it depends on its mailing address. If one drop is at 3302 Water Drive and the other drop is at 3304, it's adjacent.

And what do you think happens when part freezes first? The part that freezes emits heat, enough heat to significantly warm the water next door and slow down its freezing. Even if the water is moving, there is always some water next door, unless of course the landlord hasn't been able to rent the property.

Reply to
micky

I was thinking along the lines of sewage lagoons for livestock operations. We just as well live in different worlds sometimes.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

+1

That's why I asked for clarification on what Micky was talking about, with "adjacent water" but got a typical response. If we sit a plastic jug of water on top of a cold refrigeration plate, the bottom of the jug will freeze first, but it's not heating the water above it.

Reply to
trader_4

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 19:01:35 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

Is this what you are referring to? Otherwise known as heat of sublimation?

Tekkie©

No, you have it backwards. Freezing (i.ee. thermal solidification) is the

*consequence* of removing a sufficient amount of heat from a thermodynamic system.

If you consider each unit volume of the substance as a thermodynamic system of its own, removing heat from one of those volumes can mean that it goes into the other instead of into the rest of the environment, preventing the other from freezing, or causing its freezing process to slow down.

See also:

BBC (1983): ?FUN TO IMAGINE? (with Richard Feynman)

PointedEars

Reply to
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

No, you have it backwards. Freezing (i.e. thermal solidification) is the