HOUSE SETTLING Question

We live in a ranch home in NE Pennsylvania (house has a crawl space, no basement)..I think part of the house might be settling,,are there any tell tale signs that I should be looking for..any info will be gladly appreciated...Thanks,,J

Reply to
john246

As part of a house settles, door & window openings get out of square. Doors bind or don't stay open and windows are difficult to open. Walls also are distrorted and cracks or the shadow of cracks appear in wall surfaces. Brick siding will crack.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Put a marble on a hard floor and see where it rolls to.... (actually if you try that and it starts to move then you've got issues!)

Houses settle over a few years, its normal.

Look for what TB suggested with the doors and cracks in the sheetrock.

Tom

Reply to
Sexytom976

Tells why you "think part of the house might be settling" and we might be able to give you a better idea if that's what's happening. It would also be good to know what the construction is (wood, brick, etc.) and when it was built.

Reply to
mwlogs

Telltale signs: Uneven floors Counter tops not level cracked plaster ceilings cracked plaster walls visible cracks/misalgnment in footers underneath Anything with 4 or more legs that used to sit OK now all 4 legs won't touch. roofline, viewed against the horizon, not straight Any wall not level Any opposite walls off-plumb in same direction. chimney cracks, any brick/cement problems with more than hairline cracks MIGHT indicate a problem. EVERY house SETTLES; it's impossible not to.

What are you worried about? Specifically?

Pop

mwlogs wrote:

Reply to
Pop

If he has something with 4 (or more) legs, and now none of them are touching anything...... I'd say he has bigger problems than settling.

In this case, some kind of vortex, or parallel universe has opened in his house. I first learned about this phenomenon when I was 6, as they detailed it quite well on episode 3 of Lost In Space (this episode is when Dr. Smith was still very evil; long before he turned into an effiminate priss).

Some things to check for around the house:

When you enter a door, do you come out in a different house/town/city/state/country/planet? Do your children yell "They're here!" whenever you get static on the TV? Has a midget with tennis balls been pestering you about house cleaning?

These are just a few of the more obvious signs. Please be careful until you get this fixed.

Reply to
Matt