Important FOUNDATION Question

We have a ranch home built over a crawlspace that is about 48" from ground (which is covered with plastic) & there are 7 vents for air circulation..Some of the joists have been replaced due to rot..we bought the home in the early 80's & didn/t know of the problem..Does anyone know what type of person should be contacted on replacing the entire plate & most of the joists and beams under the house..and could this be done,,PLEASE let me know yyour thoughts about this..we live in NE PA..Thanks

Reply to
john246

I have replaced a couple of termite damaged floor joists under a 2 story brick house in PA. Its very weird that your house would require ALL joists and sill plates to be replaced. Yes, it can be done. It can sometimes be done without jacking. Jacking may be in order if the sill rot is so severe that you house has sunk down. A good carpenter (Framing carpenter) can do this job.

If indeed the entire underside of you house is rotted you need to find out why! If I were to guess, you have too much water accumulating in and around your crawl space, your yard sloped toward the house and your exterior grade is at or above you sill plates. You need to take care of the grading and water or you will be in the same boat again soon.

Reply to
No