FOUNDATION PROBLEM

It may be simpler to add a beam one along side of the bad one rather than remove and replace. Put some concrete piers and blocks under it like you have now. I suspect the original piers were poured in place however you can puchase them individually at depot or lowes.

Reply to
G Henslee

We live in a ranch home w/crawlspace..went under & noticed that a couple joists should (must) be replaced & a think a floor beam will soon have to be replaced..When we bought the house 20 yrs ago it had a moisture problem that I took care of but the damage was already done..Can anyone tell me if the BEAM can be replaced and how...I think I might be able to replace the joists with some help..THANKS,..,JOHN

Reply to
john246

As Joseph said this is not a job for most DIY people.

Without seeing the specifics of the situation a typical description would be to temporarily support all the joists on each side of the beam, replace the beam and then remove the temps. Obviously there is a great chance of doing severe damage to the home if this is not done properly.

The joists most likely can be replaced or sistered by a competent DIY person.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

What he said. In spades. I actually know how to do it, but would hire it out anyway. Fixing stuff like that in a basement is bad enough, but in a crawl space? Shudder.

Access will be the big problem. If you don't have a big outside access cubby on one end of the house near the end of the beam, this is a good time to add one. How much of your foundation is exposed? If they can knock a small hole in the end of the foundation near the beam, right below sill level, and if there is an easy road to get the new beam to it, it will help a lot. I've seen houses where the underpinnings were so bad, they had to jack the house, housemover style, and build a new foundation system under it.

Estimates are usually free. It's worth a few phone calls.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Anything can be done. Anything can be done a number of different ways.

As this is not something I would suggest for more DIYers I would suggest letting the contractor determine what method will work best for them based on the specific situation and their available talent and equipment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

We did that last year -- hired out the jacking and concrete work, replaced the floor joists and beams ourselves. Jacking and concrete work came to about $17,000. (1901, 2-story, previously concrete block perimeter around pier-and-beam, now 42"-wide footing with a 36" wall.)

Replacing the rotten wood isn't difficult, just slow, dirty, and cramped down in the crawlspace.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam