Home made tool - youtube video of it, over a million hits

What do you think, will you make one of these to replace your bench grinder?

Ashton Crusher

Having recently spent a few hours cleaning the rust off some odd shaped trailer parts (strap hinges, lock hasp, etc.) using a 6" inch wire wheel on bench grinder, I can see that that set up would not have worked. I needed to attack the parts from more angles than that set up would safely allow.

Therefore, while it's an interesting set up, and Saied is right in stating that a bench grinder is weak(er), I won't be replacing my bench grinder anytime soon. In fact, considering how close to the wire wheel my hands sometimes got - even touching a few times - the weakness is probably a good thing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't have the welding skills, to make the jig.

Have to stick with my bench grinder, for now. I do have angle grinder, but holding it hasn't been an issue.

. Christ> What do you think, will you make one of these to replace your bench > grinder?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ashton,

That's not a bench grinder, not even close. Do you mean angle grinder? It looks like an angle grinder. I like the handles.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

No.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The guy who made said it was to replace his bench grinder, not that it was a bench grinder. Although once it's clamped in the vise it's more or less a bench grinder, just with more open space around the wheel.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You missed the point of the question or didn't listen to the speaker in the video. The guy who built the tool said that he no longer uses his bench grinder since he rigged up his angle grinder with extra handles.

Ashton was asking if anyone would do the same thing.

My answer was no. While that set-up has its uses, there are things I can do with my bench grinder that I wouldn't try with the angle grinder in a vice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, if you take the guard off of a bench grinder, you can have a fully exposed wheel. My grinding wheel has the guard installed, but my wire wheel is wide open.

Reply to
DerbyDad03