HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

clipped

Our neighborhood has deed restrictions, and then the neighborhood and City adopted an "overlay" code that further restricts property use/appearance. No campers or commercial vehicles parked outside, certain setbacks, etc. We had a small pop-up camper in our condo lot until that was passed. Condo assn. said we couldn't park it. Got rid of it. The condo assn. tried to keep another owner from parking a "commercial" truck in the lot....the guy worked for the city and took home the city vehicle when he was on call.

The latest issue is three out of eight owners who have liens on their units for unpaid monthly assessments. One, who purchased his unit (doesn't live in it) in September has been delinquent since September. Mo. assess. close to $300/month. Just had the fourth sewer blockage in about 3 years. I contacted the city after the plumber did his work to see if city side could be the problem. City said their end was good but ran a camera up our pipe and said it was bad........I can finally thank the city for doing something. Looks like we have considerable digging in our future :o)

Reply to
Norminn

We have eight units in our condo. Three are for sale, three have liens for unpaid monthly assessments. Only one has the owner living in the unit (four empty, three rented). One owner doesn't live in the US. The three who are in arrears on monthly assessments have NEVER resided in the units they own. I hope all the flippers burn in hell, slowly. They are the scum that tax money is being poured on.

Reply to
Norminn

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

Look at how the US was created; by the -armed- overthrow of the incumbent government! (after the Brits moved to disarm the colonists at Concord.)

Thus the Second Amendment barring the gov't from infringing on the citizen's RKBA.(consistent with the Declaration of Independence's "duty to alter or to abolish...")

Reply to
Jim Yanik

See, that is why I don't like HOA's. I consider both of those restrictions unreasonable, and while neither directly affects me, who's to say that something that I consider reasonable to do with my property wouldn't offend some of my more sensitive neighbors? I do own a pickup truck, and it's not particularly shiny or new. I use it for getting materials for home renovation projects, hauling large loads of trash/yard debris to the dump, etc. Not having it would result in the overall appearance of my property declining, as it would be more difficult for me to clean up around the place so it'd likely get done less often.

Fortunately I live on a laid back street with no HOA and the only comments I've heard from neighbors were thanking me for cleaning up the place. (previous owners were well-intentioned eco-nuts, but I had to neaten up some of the things that they did to the yard because it bothered me to let everything go *too* wild. It's an ongoing process, too...)

nate

Reply to
N8N

An HOA is a corporate equivalent of a government, and it controls the community. Signing the agreement is mandatory when purchasing into the community. For those people who wonder if government would be better if it were run like a business, look at HOAs before deciding if that alternative is preferable.

Dissolving an HOA usually isn't as simple as voting it out of existence. The development of the community carried a lot of costs that were not born by the local governments but were carried up by the developer, who passed that responsibility onto the HOA. Those development expenses are usually only partly included in the costs of the houses. A lot of it is also structured into the HOA fees, along with the maintenance costs. Even if the HOA were dissolved, the debts remain, and somebody has to pay them. The local governments usually don't want to, which is why they encourage HOAs in the first place.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

m...

From your posts, it sounds like you are, or have been, a member of a HOA board.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I know it is the case in Clark county, where Las Vegas is. I will ask the boss if that is state wide.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'm sorry, but you have me confused with someone who cares. I do not, and would not live in a HOA. Yes, when people don't get involved, the deserve what they get. Like our current situation in Washington. I voted and worked 14 hours on election day at a voting station.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

And if they are faulty, you merely hire an attorney and spend $100,000 to get it fixed. What's the problem?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Up until a few years ago it was illegal to park a "commercial vehicle" forward of the building line anywhere on a residential property in Kitchener Ontario.

However, that bylaw got changed when it was proven unenforceable. What constitutes a "commercial vehicle"? In years past ALL pickup trucks were required to have the owner's name on them in Ontario. They were all registered as commercial vehicles. Now names are no longer required and they can be registered for personal use. Still not supposed to park a moving van. tow-truck, livestock carrier, etc in front of the house, but vans, pickups, and SUVs are now allowed.

Reply to
clare

quoted text -

Highly unlikely unless he was buying fom a politician in Chicago.

Reply to
clare

One thing that associations CAN do is require the units to be owner occupied.

Reply to
clare

It can also mean an area with a lot of entrepeneurs and building contractors and others who drive $60,000 pickup trucks.

In my neighbourhood there are quite a few skilled tradesmen and contractors, and a good many business owners who bring there shiny pickups and vans home every night.

Reply to
clare

Regrettable.

Which does not belong on the following list:

A. Syphillis B. Herpes C. HIV D. A Condo.

Answer is "A" - you can get rid of syphillis.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've got no problem with that. One of the main reasons we moved last summer was than the 2BR house next to our old place sold and the new owner finished the upstairs and put 2BR's in the basement and was suddenly renting out a

5BR house. Talk about putting 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.
Reply to
tom

Wow. You should check out Texas, where all kinds of people drive pickups, many for no apparent reason.

I live in a middle income townhouse n'hood. By now, it may be lower middle income. But one guy drove a van, a panel truck, with his company's name and phone number on the two front doors. And some of the n'bors didn't like it. Did they have jobs any better than his?

He was a surveyor. A real one, not a surveyor's helper. Doesn't that take quite a bit of training, and pay pretty well?

I finally solved the problem, at the HOA meeting. I suggested he get a plain white -- his truck was white -- magnetic sheet, and cover the writing on the doors when he got home at night. It was so stupid. I wanted to tell the complainers how stupid I thought it was, but hey, I have to live near these people.

Reply to
mm

I followed your link and then followed the link to read the full decision by the Judge.

My reading of the decision was pretty much different from your first link's reporting. The result of the decision may be the same, but there were sure a lot of other side issues. My hat is off to the judge who sorted out all side issues and came up with a fair and just decision.

From my reading of the decision: a contract approved by both sides is binding. Changing the contract later without the approval of both sides is a big No-No. HOA are not legal Government entities, HOA's exist as contracts between homeowner and the association. Enforcement of a contract must follow specific guidelines and procedural steps. Ignore the procedure steps to enforce compliance is also a No-No. Stepping over the line between being one party of a contract and perceiving the HOA is a government entity will result in nasty fines or court costs.

By the way, as the Judge pointed out, a SUV, and a Mini-Van are also "Trucks" by the manufactures for Federal safety regulations reasons, and thus the law regards SUV and Mini-Vans as trucks also. The HOA was selective in their enforcement.

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

What happens if you have some friends over for the evening and they have trucks?

Or out of town visitors come in a truck?

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I hate it when animals loiter. :)

The articles of incorporation of our HOA said, perhaps required by law, that the home owners wouldn't take over responsibility until somethin glike 75 percent of the hosues were sold. Until then it was the developers responsibility. Of course if he goes broke, it doesn't really matter that it's his responsibility!

Reply to
mm

When house shopping I found a single (unatttached) house that fit my needs and more. But when I inquired about the pond in the backyard property, I was told that the entire community can use the pond. I guess the backyard is not private at all! I got a 14 page summary of HOA rules. After thinking about this, I decided that HOAs can be a very bad thing for a home owner. And then it makes it can be more difficult to sell (if and) when that time arrives.

Reply to
Phisherman