Hanging something on drywall

Stand there at bat at it for an hour. It'll come right down.

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, I agree this the pretty well only option. Before the drywall is all messed up, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A long vertical board that catches the stud by the door with at least 2 real screws, and a couple molly anchors through the drywall on the hollow side, will be solid enough.

Reply to
aemeijers

Ah, it's been there for 8 yrs.

Reply to
Ron

rs

Wait a minute, what do you mean by "bat at it"? Shake it around? Yeah OK, I'll get right on that. Not hardly the same as a small plastic baby gate. And if the friggin lock jam is ALSO loose, someone isn't doing something right.

Reply to
Ron

Ron wrote: (snip)

Without anyone swinging it back and forth, I'll wager. Not at all the same thing. If OP just hung the gate and never touched it again, it'd be fine, too.

Reply to
aemeijers

I have old drywall off framing 2" from a firewall. Drywall was too flimsy for inserts and the weight of the speakers (15 lbs); toggle bolts didn't have room to pop.

Solution was to put a couple of 3/8" x 6" x 16" pieces of wood against wall, screw them into the studs, paint to match, and hang the speakermounts of them.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Which is pretty much what most of us in this thread suggested to OP for his baby/dog gate, albeit with pretty hardwood versus painted plywood. Painted plywood squares can be seen all over the endlessly remodeled 100 YO office building where I work, where various crap has been mounted over the years. The old horsehair plaster over brick had a lot of the same problems as the more modern drywall over steel stud partitions. (Funky old building- look around enough, and you can find almost any construction technique from the last hundred years used somewhere in there.)

Reply to
aemeijers

Reply to
MasonJoshua