Drywall

OK, I probably shouldn't be doing stuff around the home :)

To keep our dog in one part of the house, I hung a baby gate in a doorway. It was one we took down from the top of the stairs some years ago when our kids grew up and we didn't need it anymore. So no instructions, but how hard could it be? I first put it in the drywall with smallish rawlplugs and within a day it pulled right out of the wall. SO I went to Lowes and got bigger, stronger plugs that screw into the wall (don't remember the name now, but they're grey and have a wide thread. That worked well for all of a month, now the gate has pulled out of the wall again and of course left a gaping big hole in the drywall. About 1/2 inch big hole. These plugs said on the packet that they could support 75lbs and I'm pretty sure the gate weighs a lot less than that.

Questions for the knowledgeable here:

  1. How can I hang this gate so it'll stay there? I only have about 9 inches of wall and there is no stud there. I don't want my next attempt to simply rip a bigger hole in the wall. On the other side of the wall is a small closet for the water heater, so can I maybe put something right through the wall into the closet?

  1. Can I hang it so it obscures the hole, or how do I fix the hole unobtrusively without re-wallpapering the entire kitchen?

Thanks!

Reply to
MikeB

Hey, I'm sorry, I have no idea how this got added to another thread. I'll start my own thread. My apologies.

Reply to
MikeB