Good service from A/C repairman

So I went downstairs last week and noticed a nice little stream gushing out of the chiller, housed on top of the furnace. I turned the a/c off, set up some floors fans, and waited until the beginning of the week to set up an service appointment. I called the same well-known national retailer that subcontracted my furnace and new ductwork a couple of years ago. The tech was a few hours late, but it became apparent that it was because he had done a thorough job on the earlier appointments. He did a similarly thorough job with me. He was a squat, sixtyish old fellow, with a twisted ankle and recovering from hernia surgery, full of apologies for not getting there sooner. As it happened, my problem was caused by the allergen-trapping filter that I was using. It was simply too thick, even though I changed it every three months. Air flow went down, condensation went up, and pretty soon it turned into a little Niagra in there. He inspected the rest of the unit, putting his pressure meters on the outside unit. (I stood with him in a nighttime shower, holding an area lamp.) He screwed them on, waited for them to peak, shouted "Goodness!", and yanked the fuse out of the unit's electrical box. It was registering 400 psi--"Burst point!", he said. If I hadn't called about the unrelated leaky chiller problem, the whole thing probably would have broken down in another week. So he went to work cleaning up the unit, hosing out the coils, checking the little electrical doo-dads, resetting some of them, all the while admonishing me to have this done yearly. And I should watch to make sure future technicians did it right, as many of them were just knocking around the service industry with just a few weeks training to their credit. He also had a look at my ductwork and snorted in disgust at all the corner-cutting the installers had done--installers that had been sub-contracted by the same national retailer, btw. Flex ducting can't be just draped and squeezed in any old way, nor can you just connect it at right angles just anywhere. Did I notice any weak airflow here? Here? Well, yes, I did... "There's a manual these kids are supposed to follow!" he said. So, on the whole, I'd say I got very good service. But I'd also say that the national retailer's brand-name is not necessarily a guarantee of good service. I'll still phone in and give him a compliment, though.

-- bruce The dignified don't even enter in the game.

--The Jam

Reply to
The Sanity Inspector

Nice to hear a good word now and again. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Aren't you just the 'good' republican. Mister good two-shoes!

Boy, you tow that repub line like toilet paper wipes shit out of a butthole.....you make me sick!

Reply to
Kudzu

Jealous that you don't get good service?

You must be a democrat!

'muff said.

Reply to
HeatMan

Hi,

You had poor air flow over the evaporator due to a dirty filter and dirty coils. The high pressure switch should have shut the compressor off when the pressure got over 325 psi on the highside. Did he even figure out why it didn't? As far as duct work goes he may have spotted sloppy instalallation but no big deal really. Doesn't sound to me like he was anything special really. Right away he should have cleaned everything and then checked pressures if he felt he even needed to. I bet he took you for an extra hour of labor at about $65/hr or more.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

Clueless....... That LOWERS refrigerant pressures....

Clueless.....on WHAT brand unit? Some units allow the HPS to go to over

375....BTW...Some commercial units.....same tonnage as residential, allow it to go to over 500...

Actually, its a big deal.... a VERY big deal

Or trained...kinda like you.

Reply to
CBHvac

But, YOU..ARE..NOT...AN AC GUY....

Damn...you are not even at hack status..

Reply to
CBHvac

First, Are you related to another one here??

Compressor no run cuz "Pressures higher than 325"?? So, why was the unit I serviced the other day running at 475 psi.?? (by the way, it's not anymore)

Guess what(?), all condensing units don't have limits installed!

And, shitty install...........no big deal? (if most of the HVAC tech's installed a system at my home....... ..........I'd rip it out and redo the whole thing!!)

Kinda like you ehh? Most are HACKS, and most don't take pride in doing their best! What a shame on them!!

Don't you check temps & pressures on EVERY system?? Then figure the SH & SC?? If not, you are a HACK just like the original guy!! (but, we knew that, by your previous posts here)

Get a clue!!

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

This is Turtle.

Having a high head is not caused by dirty filters or plugged up evaperator coils. The last time I check about this it was the condenser coil plugged up that will cause high head pressure.

Seeing poorly installed duct work is a good thing in this business for you can burn more stuff up by have too small of ductwork than we in the business can keep up with. Poorly installed duct work is a very important thing to have looked at and fixed very soon.

Candy , You need to read more on this business before giving advice out here.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Like wow, Scooby, look what "CBHvac" just wrote!

Okay, whatever. I probably didn't explained the technical aspects correctly, since I don't understand HVAC mechanics in the first place.

But to answer an objection of yours, he did put in another filter, which is much less dense than the hypo-allergenic one I was using. That plus cleaning the outside unit and whatever he did with the electronic speed adjustment thingy resulted in crisper air--and no more waterfall! The a/c part of the system is more than fifteen years old, so I won't be astonished if it fails soon, but I'm satisfied that I bought myself a reprieve.

-- bruce The dignified don't even enter in the game.

--The Jam

Reply to
The Sanity Inspector

Your tech was full of shit!!!

400 psi burst point and other stupid remarks........ .......he really doesn't have a clue....Really.

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

I just guessed this was crossposted ;-)

Good service gets slammed regularly by those who can't compare or compete and charge thrice the rate. Good to hear you found a decent service tech from whoever.

Who convinced ya that triple filtering was going to save you by hosing up your system?? Mind you, I still smoke ;->

As many people as I've pissed off, I feel lucky living as long as I have!

That's good enough for me.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER ("So long, and thanks for all the fish.")

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Most people are too lazy to give credit; though few are too lazy to complain.

Hey, the filter had great-sounding ad copy on the label--I couldn't resist!

-- bruce The dignified don't even enter in the game.

-- The Jam

Reply to
The Sanity Inspector

Amazingly, I still know what Underwriters Laboratory (UL listed means) subscribe to consumer reports, etc.

But, I still catch Art Bell, so take that with a grain of salt. I do. :-)

NC

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

More than likely you just had a pluged up condensation line. Water running sometimes mean that the 'drip' ledge is rusted through if metal or the plastic pan is cracked. You were lucky if it was just clogged.

That has nothing to do with the filter anyway. PUT back in at least a pleated filter. I hope he didn't put in one of those cheap 50cent blue things as they are useless.

Many A/C's run for 25 or 30 years with only minor repairs. If an older unit and the compressor fails, then replace.

Yes you should be cleaning the outside unit coils every few years to keep up what efficiency you have.

Mary -- wife of an A/C and Electrical CONTRACTOR (not just a tech).

Reply to
Mary

Like wow, Scooby, look what Mary just wrote!

No, I remember that the line was clear. He poured water down it and the little pump on the floor duly pumped it away.

-- bruce The dignified don't even enter in the game.

--The Jam

Reply to
The Sanity Inspector

LOL..I like that..and actually, as an HVAC company owner...I thought the same thing...LOL

Hate to tell you, but there is NO way unless you did not have a trap installed that a filter could do as you said. Then, you still have an airflow issue...period. If the units pulling that hard, with an approved filter in place, then you have a duct or a return duct design issue....seriously.

Reply to
CBHvac

Hi CLSSM00X7, hope you are having a nice day

On 01-Sep-03 At About 20:29:51, CLSSM00X7 wrote to All Subject: Re: Good service from A/C repairman

C> From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CLSSM00X7)

C> Hi,

C> The high pressure switch should have shut the compressor C> off when the pressure got over 325 psi on the highside. Did he even C> figure out why it didn't?

Here you go again oh clueless one, there are several different pressure settings for high pressure switches which go way over 375 lbs. actually most of the cheaper units don't even have a high or low pressure switch

C> As far as duct work goes he may have C> spotted sloppy instalallation but no big deal really.

it could be quite a big deal depending on the configuration.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Gee CB, I was thinking the exact same thing about you. How do you get customers, your charm? (I do most of my own HVAC work, btw.)

-- Regards, IM

Reply to
ivy_mike

Its something you wont understand....quality.

So? Not MY ass if you get busted with an illegal jug... Oh..yea..that happened this week here...shame that all the legal legit guys hang together...makes it harder for those that are not.

Reply to
CBHvac