Diagnostic Question for A/C Repairman?

Hopefully someone is/was a residential A/C repairman who has had sufficient experience to help me identify a failing part.

The unit I have is an LG LW1000ER (electronic model with remote and led-type display panel w/electronic air cleaning). The manual states LW1500 series. It's a 10,000 btu model.

According to LG, because I mounted this unit through the wall not blocking any vents and also angling down to the outside approx 5-9 degrees, they claim I have voided my warranty. So be it! I just want to fix the problem.

Here's the syptom: The unit works just fine in every respect, except ONE: if the unit is powered off, either by using the remote or the power button on the unit itself, eventually it will automatically restart itself. Could be 5 minutes, an hour, several hours. Doesn't matter, it WILL restart itself.

I've run a dedicated line from the distrib box to a single 15A outlet adjacent to the unit so power should be clean.

The parts diagrams I've been able to find online show TWO IC boards mounted in the housing behind the control panel. They do not, however, identify the function of either. My question is which one does what so I can determine which one requires replacement. I don't wish to replace both for costs reasons. So, if any A/C technicians out there have ANY experience with LG electronic units, please, please, please try to identify which part (by part number perhaps) might be the culprit.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

. . .

Disconnect one entirely, and see if the remote still works. If it doesn't, see if the local ON button works. If you can get it in that state, leave it that way and see if it re-starts.

Is your remote infared, or RF? What other remotes or other devices do you (or your neighbor) have that might be interfering?

Reply to
Goedjn

try a piece of black tape over the infrared remote sensing unit on the A/C

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the responses so far. LG has refused to help with my diagnostic question as have the local LG repairmen.

There is ONE other symptom that I forgot to mention in the first post:

Once the unit comes back on by itself the remote will NOT work with it. However, if the remote POWER button is depressed TWICE, it will power off. Powering back on by either switch will resume normal operations.

I suppose I will try disconnection one of the IC boards and/or the other to see what difference that makes. I will ALSO try black-taping over the sensor EYE.

Thanks - Bob

Reply to
Bob_M