garbage disposal humming

My garbage disposal was humming. I removed it and use a screw driver and a hammer to loosen the two spinners inside. Now, they are freely moving. However, when I inserted an allen wrench to the hole in the bottom and tried to turn it, it didn't budge.

Any way to save it?

Reply to
Lenny Miller

No, even if you freed it up, it would not last long and will freeze up again. The bearings get rusted. The good news is that you didn't needlessly take it out. Next time you can use the allen wrench without removing it.

Reply to
trader_4

Not yours afaik but sometimes disposal get, or used to get, stopped by food and people used a broom handle, from the top, to free them up. Later they added the hex hole in the bottom, and that's easier for turning in both directions. Though the hex wrench seems like it would do everything a broom stick can, I'd still try a broom stick if the wrench didn't work.

Reply to
micky