Garage-door opener

Last night, I discovered my garage door was UP (again)!

(After parking my car in the garage, I bring the garage-door opener's remote-control into the house. Apparently, I accidentally press the push-button on the remote-control in my house).

My house is about 150 feet from the garage-door opener.

Is there any way to decrease the distance the remote-control transmits the signal to the garage-door opener?

(I have a LiftMaster Model Series 1300 Garage Door Opener).

Reply to
condo owner

That defeats the entire purpose of having a remote control to open/close my garage door.

Reply to
condo owner

Are you sure it's opening because the remote gets pushed inside the house? Seems it would be easier to put it in a safe spot and not push it.

Reply to
trader_4

Is there some sort of time delay that would make you hold the button for a few seconds before something happens?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I want the garage door to open/close when the remote-control button is within 75 feet of the garage door.

Reply to
condo owner

Right, put a nail in the door you use and hang it there as soon as you walk through. Another method is to install a push button switch to close it and leave the remote in the car. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a push-button mounted on the door-jamb INSIDE the garage. I keep a remote-control in one of my cars I take the other remote-control into my house so I don't need to go into the garage to open/close the garage door.

Reply to
condo owner

Page 33 of the opener manual says an opener that works only at close might be because of metal around the opener. What if you add metal around the opener antenna? Aluminum foil? Piece of pipe maybe? Is it possible one of your neighbor's remotes is causing the problem?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If a neighbor's remote is causing the problem, my garage door would open/close every day (not just occasionally).

I'll try wrapping the wire antenna on the opener with aluminum foil

Reply to
condo owner

How ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THIS

Trying to limit the range of the remote is going to be unreliable and you still will never be certain it is closed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Measure the existing antenna length and make note of it. Cut it down bit by bit until you get the range you seek. If it doesn't work out simply add a length of wire to it and bring it back to it's initial length.

Wrapping it as you suggest, especially if it's just a bare wire may yield surprising results

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If you can't remember to put your garage door down, maybe it's time to surrender your car keys.

Reply to
Morty S

No it doesn't.

Bingo.

Reply to
micky

You want the aluminum foil to act as a shield, not as an extension of the w ire that serves as an antenna for the transmitter. If you completely enclo se the remote, which I am assuming is about the size of a pack of cigarette s, and mark where the pushbutton is located, you may well reduce the outpu t power that reaches free space and triggers the door opener. If the syste m doesn't respond at all, start removing the foil small pieces at a time un til you get the desired reduced opener range.

If the foregoing does not work, maybe you can locate the receiving antenna for the opener itself and shorten it to reduce the responding range. Of co urse, if you do that, you will also have reduced the range at which the ope ner will respond to your opener in your vehicle.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I will adjust the length of the wire antenna hanging down from the opener

Reply to
condo owner

We had a problem with forgetting to close the garage door. The door also has a habit of occasionally opening on its own.

Our garage is about 40 feet from the house. The garage door does not face the house and cannot be seen from the house. I bought a cheap wireless security camera w/infra red night viewing capability. It came with a small monitor.

The camera is mounted inside the garage and faces the garage door. I have the monitor set up on a window sill in the kitchen. The garage is about 40 feet away from the house. The monitor shows whether the garage door is open or not. At night in the darkened garage, the camera's infra red shows the garage interior and door very clearly.

Reply to
jack

I have a Garage Butler on both garage doors like this:

It works really well. It has selected times you want to leave it open before activating it to close. It also closes when it gets dark. For safety it beeps really loud before activating the door and while the door is moving. This ebay price is cheap than I paid 5 years or so ago.

Reply to
Art Todesco