Flickering lights

I have some wall sconces that are hooked up to a dimmer switch. When the switch is completely turned off, the sconces will occasionally flicker on (very dim) and then off again. Any idea why this might be happening?

Reply to
MPost

Turned off is not the same as turned down. Are you switching them off or just turning the knob all the way down?

Reply to
Noozer

Are they fluorescents? I had some ceiling lights that did that occasionally. During an remodel I found that there was a shared neutral that was carrying current and since these were cheaply CF lamps they would flash occasionally.

This is just a WAG

Reply to
SQLit

If the prior suggestions did not work or fit, try replacing the dimmer switch, it may be defective. It should have true off position.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The dimmer is a slider type, and I slide it until it clicks. So, I think I'm getting it turned completely off. Also, the lights are regular incandescents.

Reply to
MPost

Hi, I think your dimmer switch is going South. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

MPOST:

M > I have some wall sconces that are hooked up to a dimmer switch. When the M > switch is completely turned off, the sconces will occasionally flicker on M > (very dim) and then off again. Any idea why this might be happening?

I would replace the dimmer. It sounds like the dimmer is not shutting off completely (more accurately, almost off). Here we have several dimmers controlling various wattage loads and at 'full dim' none have the load flicker on or even come on then go off again.

I have had what you describe when the dimmer is set to have the light bulb barely come on (or barely shut off). Changes in line voltage will cause the bulbs to barely come on or extinguish, depending on the setting.

  • OLD FOLKS' PARTY GAMES: 20 Questions Shouted into your Good Ear
Reply to
barry martin

replace the dimmer w/ a good qulity brand. That will solve your problems

Reply to
Playintennis5274