Inconsistent Hot Water

I'm assuming I have a failing hot water heater but thought I'd run it by others first.

On some days The water is nice and hot and some other days it's much cooler. No rhyme or reason for the fluctuations.(thermostat settings the same) Wifey is starting to get annoyed so it's time to address it. It's about 8yrs old.

Is my best bet to replace the whole thing? or is there an obvious fix? thanks

Reply to
ruddager99

Depends on what kind of water heater it is. Sounds like a problem with the thermostat.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

This is Turtle.

It would be nice to know what type hot water tank you have natural gas / propane / electric / solar heat / or what ever kind it is.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Do you have a tempering valve in the hot water line?

If you do, it may be sticking open once in a while and feeding you pretty cool water even though the water from the tank is HOT.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If it is a regular gas water heater 8 yrs is not old if you have good water, for some water it is old, where I live they last 30 yrs. Thermostats are cheap to fix

Reply to
m Ransley

My solar heater did this for a time. The plastic dip tube which puts the cold water on the bottom of the tank making for natural separation, warm on top and cold on the bottom, split. The water now could feed from the top and drain from the top. Making for some not so warm showers. The dip tube cost less than 10 bucks and was not hard to install at all. WAG

Reply to
SQLit

Hi, Do you clean the tank(flush) reguglarly once or twice a year? When burner is on look at the flame. Does it look normal? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Flame looks good. I did forget to mention that it's a natural gas heater.

I doubt it's ever been flushed/drained.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ruddager99

Dont you just love the temperature accuracy of these new gas valves? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba