Heater/vents making whirring noise

I have electric forced heat (I think that's what it's called) in my house and there seems to be something wrong with it. Sometimes instead of blowing out warm or hot air it blows out ice cold air and the temp. in the house drops several degrees. Sometimes this is fixed by turning it off for 20 minutes. Also, sometimes when the fan comes on something smells like it got burnt. I was told that it's from the contacts or something like that and while it should be repaired, it won't hurt anything not to. Does anyone have any ideas as to why these things are happening? The whole system needs to be replaced (it's 16 years old) according to the repair guy.

The other problem is something my father did. I don't know what he did but he was tinkering with the heater/fan/vents and now the one vent is making this horrible, loud, whirring noise. It's so loud it gives me an earache. We had this problem a few years ago and it was from a vent in the basement being shut. I checked the basement and it doesn't look like anyone touched them. Though I did notice that now when we shut the basement door that there is a suction there that wasn't there before. I'm thinking that it's from a vent but I can't figure it out. My father claims he didn't do anything, but as usual, he's lying. Does anyone know how I can fix this whirring problem?

Reply to
Mike

A burnt smell ? You think that is safe? And you dont call in a tech ?

Reply to
m Ransley

There are a number of things that could cause the intermittent heating problem on an electric furnance. I wouldn't recommend trying to work on this yourself unless you are very, very competent in handling electrical equipment (which it appears you are not). Putting your hand in the wrong place is a good way to get electrocuted.

Sounds like you should listen to your repair guy - they can fix whatever is making the vent noise, too.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Nice of you to publicly disparage your father like that.

How about taking the advice of the repair man which has actually seen it?

Reply to
John Harlow

The relay contacts are burnt, just like the man said. He is likely right about the rest as well. Not only that your father is likely telling you the truth. Why do you ask questions if you don't believe anyone unless they say what you want them to say. Don't bother and just do what you want with out bothering the rest of the world.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan