Excuse OT question re buffing out a windshield scuff.

What product or process could be used to polish out a significant winter scuff of the windshield of our not much driven (80,000 kilometres = about 50,000 miles since new in 2002) Nissan Frontier pickup . Scuff is not directly in front of driver, but where the passenger side wiper sweeps into the top right hand of driver's portion of the glass. Maybe was grit or dust that got trapped. First time have ever had this problem. OR: Would it just be best to change the windshield? Probably at cost of at least $150? Any advice or reference to a suitable auto news group would be most welcome.

PS. Have asked this question 3 times on auto repair forums and not received any response at all!

Reply to
terry

Call one of those windshield repair places and see what they say. They might be able to buff it out

Reply to
gfretwell

Glass can be buffed using jeweler's rouge and felt pads, but that can be a long tedious job depending on how deep the damage is. Whatever you do, DON'T use Scotch Bright pads - they'll make it worse and cloudy/frosted looking.

Reply to
1D10T

Check with a local glass shop. The price of a new one is probably closer to $300 but may be covered by your insurance if you have glass coverage. At

50,000 miles they are starting to show pitting from crap on the road and winder sand if you are in snow territory. A new windshield is almost as good as getting a new car.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Many thanks indeed folks for the several replies/advice regarding off topic windshield question.

Reply to
stan

A few years ago I bought one of these kits:

And used it to get rid of arced scratches on the windshield of a nged Honda Civic our youngest kid had purchased.

The scratches looked like they probably happened when someone ran the wipers after a blade had popped off or gotten broken.

The kit worked slicker than snot on a brass doorknob. It's still sitting in my workshop waiting for the next use.

Jeff (Windshields are to look through, not at....)

Reply to
jeff_wisnia