buffing countertop

I am on phase three of a major masterbath remodel (Phase 1 tear out old tile tub surround, termite damaged wood and rebuild and retile; Phase 2 tear out carpet and tile floor in w.c. and retile) Phase three involves refinishing vanity cabinet work, hardware replacement and countertop.

The current counter is a type of solid synthetic material, not a laminate over wood, which is black in color with faux white marble appearance. It is a nice top but has had a bit of wear and has a lot of small scratches. Is there any material, i was thinking some type of rubbing compound combined with a buffer, that would polish this surface. I dont' want to paint, I don't think it would take as the suface is pretty hi gloss to begin with but will replace if there is not a suitable alternative to renew this finish.

Reply to
sigismundo

nospambob

It would be nice to know who made it and what they recommend. I suggest the problem may be finding the right compound that will give you the same finish you have/want. Otherwise you will end up polishing out the whole thing to make it even.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Any polishing/rubbing compound...rouge, tripoli...auto paint polishing = stuff. Just buff it *SLOOOW*

--=20 dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

After reading the responses from others I checked out the instructions that came with mine (Swanstone brand). It gave these instructions:

Stains Abrasive cleaners like Bon Ami Abrasive bad like Scotch-Brite (no steel wool or metal scouring pads) Bleach (special instructions provided)

Don not use cleaners designed to remove iron or rust

Marks - WHITE automotive rubbing compound

Scratches Sand paper starting with course going to finest grit until scratch disappears. Blend area in with abrasive finishing pad

I strongly suggest you check the instructions that came with your product or check with the manufacturer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan