Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

America would ship more, higher priced oil. Too bad that England has lille more thena mostly spent cola mines that were closed in the name ow 'Glow-ball warming' by Thatcher.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then why do millions of them spend their winters in the southern US states?

Sigh, you really are a fool. There were thousands of 'War Plans' that were contingencies. In other words, what would we do if we had to... Unlike England's bloody history of enslaving people and putting fools in place a 'Governors'.

And both had their heads handed to them.

Right. We needed someone to use up all of our surplus ammo, and crash thosands of US built planes. They also used lots of 55 gallon drums worth of US made antibiotics and canned foods that we would have had to sold as surplus after the war.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why, didn't you? I was a broadcast engineer and later built communications equipment for NASA. Tell me about England's space program.

I've already talked about the war of 1812, fool. Isn't it about time for the nurse to change your diaper? You're stinking up all of Usenet.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Name ONE food that isn't 'filled with chemicals'.

England's NHS stuff their men full of female hormones and gives free sex changes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Really? You've seen them process beef and add the blood back after the carcass was drained. I suppose you did it in your invisible UFO with the special Earl Schibe paint job.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just like all the people killed by car & bus bombs in England.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A horse is the least energy efficient way to cross the US. They need food & fresh water several times a day. They can eat more than they can haul. Thousands of pioneers died doing that when they migrated across the US to settle the west coast. You really should go to school for once in your sorry life.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

One needs flushed, the other has been flushed.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

At the current rate, it will take hundreds of years to convert to electric vehicles.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We have ethnic food from all over the world, including nations notorious for starving, but have you ever seen an "English" restaurant?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The people who scream discrimination against the poor conveniently forget that team sports already discriminate against the kids who most need the exercise.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

We have a bunch of pubs in the area.. does that count?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Why?

Reply to
Doug

Dumb as ever. If by "importing poor people", you mean Mexicans, they obviously come here because there is far more opportunity to earn money here than there is in Mexico. They come because it makes their life better for them and their families back in Mexico that they send money they earn to. They come because it's a step UP on the economic ladder for them. That is how free markets work.

Then, just like the clueless libs, you assume everything is static. That whoever had a low income in 1980, 1990,

2000 still has a low income today. That of course isn't true. People start out at a low paying job and then work their way up to a better job. Or start a business. That is how it works, at least for those that want to get off their ass. I just had two painters over here to give me quotes on painting a great room and a foyer, $3,600 - $4,000. Are you gonna tell us that skill set is beyond the reach of the common person? I could do that job myself in a week. Do the math at what income that works out to.
Reply to
trader4

Clueless as ever. The US didn't blockade Japan's shipping routes for oil. We just stopped selling them oil. Blocking an international shipping channel is an act of war.

Reply to
trader4

If you have to ask? No.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We may have chemicals in our food, but at least we didn't have people dying horrible, slow, deaths all over the place from Mad Cow disease.....

And the Britts must really be dumb. Just across the way in France the food is soooo delicious. Yet in the UK, for the most part, it's sub-standard. You'd think they would have learned a thing or two from the French by now.

Reply to
trader4

Except of course that with a regular vehicle, you're refilled in 10 mins and on your way. With an electric car, when you're near empty, you're done for a long, long time. The filling station is called a car park.

Reply to
trader4

Think about it. The technology isn't there. The power generation isn't there. It can take 25 years to get the permits to build & put one power plant on line. Viable electric vehicles have been "Just around the corner" for 100 years. Picture this: Every car in town is electric. A massive power failure and after a few days most of them are sitting on the road where the batteries died. How long before people start stealing the expensive batteries to replace their failed batteries instead of paying the dealer full retail?

Study electronics for yourself, and do some heavy math. You'll see for yourself. There is very little excess capacity in the grid, and the nighttime usage allows them to take some generators or controls down for minor repairs. Without that, the whole facility is run till it needs a major overhaul, which can take months or years. The entire grid is aging, and a lot of equipment is well past its design life. Between the MBAs, NIMBYs and Greenies, it's a looming crisis.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

After a major power failure, half the people in an area buy gernerators. If we have electric cars, we'll just have to buy little trailers to carry the generators...

Seriously, electric cars are likely to have only slow and incremental growth. The most likely scenario I've seen involves several configurations and energy sources: all-electrics for people who have another car; plug-in hybrids (with or without trailers ); liquid-fuel cars (gasoline; diesel; gasohol) and CNG cars. Hydrogen fuel cells seem, to me, to be least likely, or to require some breakthrough that we don't know about yet. The wire-in-road electrics sound like "a helicopter in every garage."

It will be interesting to see how all of these types jocky for market share. Lithium-based batteries sound like they're going to be a limiting factor for electrics, but there is always another battery technology in a lab somewhere. Don't bet the farm or count them out.

Reply to
Ed Huntress