Dryer vent exhaust port move up??

I have a dryer vent exhaust port currently located at the baseboard level. I simply want to just move it vertically about a foot and a half. Obviously I need to cut a new hole in the drywall, but how difficult would the ducti ng work be? Is it as simple as finding a 90* angle duct and a hard sleeve t o run it as high as I need to and then putting another 90 degree into it to come out the new drywall hole? Are there any other issues or concerns tha t I would need to be aware of or avoid? Would I be better off calling a con tractor or HVAC tech?

ANY help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

--Ted

Reply to
tbrawn

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 7:27:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

. I simply want to just move it vertically about a foot and a half. Obvious ly I need to cut a new hole in the drywall, but how difficult would the duc ting work be? Is it as simple as finding a 90* angle duct and a hard sleeve to run it as high as I need to and then putting another 90 degree into it to come out the new drywall hole? Are there any other issues or concerns t hat I would need to be aware of or avoid? Would I be better off calling a c ontractor or HVAC tech?

What is on the outside of the house, assuming it is an exterior wall? A co ntractor would be my choice as you don't say what else is in the wall that might have to be moved for the vent, such as any plumbing or maybe electric wires. What about patching the outside wall where the vent used to be? W ill you be moving the exterior bezel around the current vent output?

It's not a big deal, but if you have to ask, then I sure would get someone to advise me, if not a contractor, then get the neighborhood handyperson to look and make suggestions.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Biggest problem I see is space from the wall. You will need two 90 degree elbows and the will take a bit over 4" between the wall and dryer.

I don't see that you need a pro. You need two elbows and a straight section to raise it up about 12" or so, and maybe some clamps. Any home store will have what you need. You probably know not to use sheet metal screws in dryer vent as it can catch lint.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for both of the timely responses! I wish I could post a picture in h ere, it would simplify this so much. Lol

?It is an interior wall--a laundry closet on the second floor. Dry er vent duct goes through the closet side wall and then through the town ho me to an exterior wall located a room away.

?the though was to move the hole vertically within the same exact s tud gap, just a foot or two higher, but to try and do it internally. If I h ad to get some drywall patch pieces, so be it. I'm not sure if anything els e would have to be moved, and I guess I won't actually know until I opened the wall up, but my hope is that since it would be within the same stud gap and only a little ways up, that the chances of any other obstructions woul d be lower. But again, obviously, I guess I wouldn't know until I opened th e wall up.

As an aside, what is the consensus on the periscope vents? Would that be a feasible alternative and just install that on the outside of the wall?

Thanks again!

--Ted

el. I simply want to just move it vertically about a foot and a half. Obvio usly I need to cut a new hole in the drywall, but how difficult would the d ucting work be? Is it as simple as finding a 90* angle duct and a hard slee ve to run it as high as I need to and then putting another 90 degree into i t to come out the new drywall hole? Are there any other issues or concerns that I would need to be aware of or avoid? Would I be better off calling a contractor or HVAC tech?

Reply to
tbrawn

Why are you wanting to raise it in the first place?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

We are looking at the options because it's current location would not accom modate a pedestal-mounted dryer due to the dimensions of the space. That be ing said we may end up just going with the periscope vent option until a po int where we can afford to move the actual port up (when we end up redoing the space completely, anyways).

Reply to
atb5151

We are looking at the options because it's current location would not accom modate a pedestal-mounted dryer due to the dimensions of the space. That be ing said we may end up just going with the periscope vent option until a po int where we can afford to move the actual port up (when we end up redoing the space completely, anyways).

Reply to
tbrawn

Does the vent open into an interior room? That is what it sounds like when you say:

"It is an interior wall--a laundry closet on the second floor. Dryer vent duct goes through the closet side wall and then through the town home to an exterior wall located a room away"

Reply to
hrhofmann

Sounds like it is passing through another room to get to the outside. The OP should also keep in mind that adding either two elbows or the periscope will create some friction and reduce air flow. It can increase the time needed to dry and collect lint over time. He should check to see if is within limits of the appliance distance wise and periodically check for lint buildup too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Correct. It goes through a wall crawlspace down one side of a room (behind a wall) and than vents to an exterior wall vent.

Ed, thank you for your help. Would that info be in the user manual, I'm ass uming? Also, I was just reading somewhere about dryer-vent grade fans that you can purchase and place in the ductwork (I assume again lol) that would help with the airflow exiting the dryer. Is this a feasible solution?

Reply to
tbrawn