Does the car have a hater or an AC?

All the cars I've had, there was a switch to disable the compressor if you chose to do so. It might still run if you put it on defrost, Which you'd usually want anyway, but would not run for normal winter heating.

Reply to
trader_4

The design of that system is actually genius, because it turns off the "recirculate" automatically every time you start the car to prevent saturating the car with recycled foul air, and it turns on the AC every timee it starts for quick defrost and drying the car. Particularly important on a convertible with a lined and insulated top

- and also - notice you never see one with the A pillars or top front corners of the roof rotted out like on some "lesser" imports?

Fix the damned thing or quit bitching about it's design. You shouldn't own anything more sophisticated than a Tercel or a Hyundai Accent. I didn't notice it until a

FIX IT

Reply to
clare
[snip]

My first car (1980 model with underpowered 1.7L engine) had that feature. It was obvious going up a hill on a hot day. It died a lot too.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I have a dashcam / GPS that's mounted on the windshield with a suction cup. The power cord is routed through the cupholder for safety. When the device falls off (and it WILL) the attached cord controls where it falls, so it can't fall under the gas or brake pedal.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

+1 Posted before I got here...
Reply to
Tekkie®

+50 I just read read this... The question in the subject line has still not been answered-Is he a hater?
Reply to
Tekkie®

A Horendous Horizon or Ominous Omni by chance?

Reply to
clare

He definitely has a love-hate relationship with his Solara. I picture it as the ugliest duct-taped together example of a Solara anywhere in North America. A Solara Convertible deserves a better life than a slow lingering death at Micky's hand.

Reply to
clare
[snip]

Horendous Horizon.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Figured it was a pretty safe bet as 1.7 liters wasn't a common displacement.

Reply to
clare

My question about the vent and the cell phone was an afterthought.

I should have done what I did today, measure how hot the hater, I mean heater, air can be.

When the temp is set to 73, the air coming out was 110 When the temp is set to 78, the air was a little above 130.

Wow. I definitely won't be clipping the phone in front of the heating duct.

I think the temp can be set to 84 and above that hit just says Hot.

And I turn the heat very hot sometimes when it's 50 or 40 out and I have the top down for some reason.

I meant to try hotter settings to see if it felt hotter to my hand.

The thermometer isn't marked off above 130 and I don't want it to burst.

Reply to
micky

I hadn't heard of those, but I looked them up. Maybe. I'll check further.

That's a good idea too.

I have another idea too, but let me think about it before I give more ammunition to my detractors.

LOL

Reply to
micky

I can always tell compressor load, except maybe my truck. Never tested that. When the motor is only putting out 50 hp or so, I can tell. I test it going up a hill, light throttle.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Around 94 didn't the new refrigerant require more compression ?

They used to sell ac cut switch vacuum operated.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Probably better to wait until it sets the car on fire one day.

Reply to
trader_4

The temperature from the heater can reach the temperature rating of the thermostat - if you have the coirrect thermostat in the Soalrs that is about 180F

Reply to
clare

Wow. I think that would "melt the phone"

So how come the AC vent bracket seems to be one of the most popular?

I used to have an oven thermometer, and I'm sure I have a meat thermometer. When I come across those, I'm going to see how hot it really gets.

Reply to
micky

Because it's cheap and simple and most people never run the heater at full blast with their phone blocking the vent. If you are smart enough to figure out you want the windsheild warm, and your feet warm, but don't want your eyeballs force dried, you never get any appreciable amount of heat out of the face level dash vents.

I'm really not quite sure how you have survived this long without figuring out some of the simplest concepts - - - - - -

Use position #4 on the control

Not required - just learn how to use the heater controls properly. It is actually one of the most sensible HVAC systems installed in a vehicle in the last 25 years - and the most flexible. Its defaults are the correct settings for over 90% of the time, and over-riding the defaults is almost too simple.

Reply to
clare

Also, two things: Select floor ducks for heat. Or, if you must have heat frying you from the dash, most cars since 1990 have wheels or levers to block air to specific vents - specifically the one with a phone mounted to it. ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

In 99% of the cases, when the heat is on it comes out the floor duct, little, if any, is coming out up top. With AC, it comes out the dash vents. In a convertible with the top down I can see using the dash vents. Most people are likely to have the temperature setting a bit lower, closer to 72.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski