Car AC compressor leak

One of my cars keeps leaking the freon out over a period of about 2 months. I didn't find any obvious leaks and put some dye in a couple months ago. Went to drive the car yesterday and the AC wasn't working again. Got out my UV flashlight and went looking for leaks. Could not find anything obvious at any of the fittings. There is a sort of cloud like scattering of "bright spots" on the outside of the compressor itself. At the link is a photo taken with just the light of the UV flashlight. Does that look like sufficient evidence of a compressor leak? The compressor body is mainly purple and the dye trace is teh green. You are looking from the front toward the back of the compressor, that upright little tang is right on the back.

Ashton Crusher

I could not tell anything from the photo, but compressor seals can and do leak. You may also want to check the evaporator coil. Rare, but they leak too. After the third leak in a month on one of my cars, I convinced the dealer to look at it and sure enough, they replaced the coil.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can't make out photo. I did have some kind of splash out of a bad compressor. That was my problem.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There is clearly a small amount of dye on the compressor. IDK how much would show up in the area that we can see in the photo, as opposed to say being behind the clutch, where you can't see it. Should be plenty of folks that have experience and know how much dye you typically see showing up there from a very small, slow, leak. But, in any case, there shouldn't be any, so unless there was some way that dye could have made it to the compressor while charging, etc. I'd say the compressor is leaking.

Reply to
trader_4

Oren posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

That's quite a large leak, really; anybody w/ a sniffer otta' find it in a heartbeat or two at most.

I was going to say the same thing but add that looking for oil leak is another general indicator of failure of seals on compressor--the hood insulation pad is a good catch point to see throw lines on if the compressor is at the top of the compartment as in most vehicles.

Reply to
dpb

Just as follow up. I put the car up on ramps so I could better see the compressor and there was enough oil film around the area behind the clutch that I was reasonably certain that the leak was from the front shaft seal. So I shopped around for a new compressor and wound up buying one off Amazon for $128. Put it on, evaced the system, recharged and so far so good. Time will tell. System pulled a good vacuum and held it so hopefully no leaks.

As to Amazon... I picked the vendor I picked because it was clear to me that the wiring harness was going to have to be extended (electric connection on all the replacement compressors is 90 CCW from factory compressor) and the vendor stated that they included the necessary wiring adaptors so no splicing was needed. They also said that the put ICE Pag oil in. So I ordered hoping for the best. When I got the compressor there was no note with it about whether it was even charged with oil and no wiring adaptor/extension. Sent an email to the vendor and they claimed that the way Amazon handles the whole thing is that all the vendors who sell the same "stocking number" send their product to Amazon and Amazon puts them all in a big "pile". And when an order comes in the just pull one off the pile so no telling what vendors "product" you are actually getting. I Called Amazon and they claim the segregate the "product" by vendor and do ship one from the specific vendor you ordered from. Who knows what the truth is. I know I didn't get the wiring extender and had to extend the wire harness.

I also drained the oil from the new compressor and there was no more than an oz in it. I put 3 oz back in. When I drained the old compressor there was less than an oz of oil that came out of it. The oil looked nice and clean so there was no black death going on and I didn't think there would be which I why I just did the compressor and didn't replace the orifice tube or accumulator.

I also found out from the vendor that they sell the same stuff on Ebay. The same compressor on ebay (same free shipping) is $20 less. For the extra $20 I think I get a better return policy since it was thru Amazon Prime.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher