Does the car have a hater or an AC?

All of my life, a car has a heater, and might also have AC, but this guy thinks the car has AC, that maybe has a heater in it:
"I'm not a huge user of the car's A/C system but during winter time I have no choice. Is the fact that the blowing of hot/cold air from the vents towards the phone implies that the phone might be impaired or slowly deteriorate? I have no idea if an iPhone, or any smartphone for that matter can be sensitive to heat and cooling."
First line talks about having to use the AC in the winter, no choice.
And does the heater hurt the phone if it's clipped in front of the vent?

On new cars the AC is seldom off. That is what defrosts the windshield. Flowing the air through the AC coils, then heating it drops the humidity to a very low number.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 13:37:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My windshield has fog or frost less than 10% of the time. Is there a way to set the default AC setting to Off?
On 1/20/2017 2:28 PM, micky wrote:

Usually it only goes on when the defrost goes on, not during regular heating cycles. That has been common practice for at least 40+ years. There is no valid reason to change it. In the life of your car it probably burns an extra gallon of gas. Makes safer driving by clearing the windshield fast too.
My first car with AC was a '68 Olds. When the compressor kicked in you could feel the load on the engine. Those days have long been changed with efficient rotary compressors. My car even turns the defroster on if is starts to fog.

I can always tell compressor load, except maybe my truck. Never tested that. When the motor is only putting out 50 hp or so, I can tell. I test it going up a hill, light throttle.
Greg

Disconnect the AC clutch
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 17:44:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A long time ago that was part of my winter prep routine. I never needed the a/c running in the wintertime, but I used defrost mode all winter. Another thing I did was to shut off all heat and open a window the last mile or so before reaching home or work when it was snowing. Kept ice from forming on the glass.
On 01/20/2017 03:29 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

My late nineties vehicle has the "AC for defrost" feature, so I disconnect the low-pressure sender so it doesn't turn on in the winter.
On my car, having the AC on makes a noticeable difference in my fuel economy, and performance. A friend of mine has a newer has a newer car (<10 years old), and you can't even notice when the AC kicks on. I don't know if my compressor is just really sluggish, or if the units are just that more efficient.
Jon
On 1/20/2017 6:42 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Two factors. By the late 90's the compressor on most cars were fairly efficient but perhaps not all.
The other factor is engine size. If you have a small econo-box with a 1.2 liter engine it is taking a larger percentage of power than a similar compressor on the twin turbo V-8.
My '68 Olds had a V8 but if I wanted to quickly pass someone I'd flip the AC off to get the extra power. The AC compressor was a real power hog. Recent cars I never notice a difference, even when I had a '91 Regal.

A lot of vehicles had a feature that killed the AC under full load.
On 01/20/2017 07:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

My first car (1980 model with underpowered 1.7L engine) had that feature. It was obvious going up a hill on a hot day. It died a lot too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

A Horendous Horizon or Ominous Omni by chance?
On 01/21/2017 04:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

Horendous Horizon.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Figured it was a pretty safe bet as 1.7 liters wasn't a common displacement.

I knew a guy who one that complained about a clunking noise on turning right. I crawled under and showed him all the grease and where a boot should have been... He said it's been that way for awhile?
--
Tekkie

+1 Posted before I got here...
--
Tekkie

Around 94 didn't the new refrigerant require more compression ?

They used to sell ac cut switch vacuum operated.
Greg
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 15:42:51 -0800, Jon Danniken

I'm not sure, but I think I stopped disconnecting the power to the A/C clutch in winter when my cars were newer than 1978. Post A6 compressor. That would have been when I got my '88 Celebrity. It had the V5 compressor. Some compressors are more efficient, but I'd prefer if GM made that "AC for defrost" switchable. I seldom find it useful, and it ALWAYS steals gas and power. In my climate cold and dry go together.
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:53:07 -0600, Vic Smith

I have full manual AC on my Ranger (I installed it myself) and I occaisionally turn on the AC and heat to dry the truck out (snow melted on the floor - which sublimates onto the inside of the windshield as HARD frost).. On the Taurus it is fully automatic
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:53:07 -0600, Vic Smith

My Toyota Solara lets me turn off the AC, but because it's a momentary pushbutton and not an on/off switch, only after it's started, which bothers me a little. So when I put on the defroster, the AC goes on and at least in the winter, the recirculate goes to outside air. Both of these changes annoy me. And this is when the unit is set to manual. If it's on automatic, it does more things I dont' want.
I don't want outside air becuase in the last couple years it's been hard to breathe. There is some small leak that lands on some hot spot and the smell of burning oil comes into the car. I didn't notice it until a young friend was helping me and he pointed it out. But the leak is not very accessible and it's a small leak because I never need oil between changes.