Car AC Refrigerant Leak - Recharge

I have a couple of old cars that have leaks in the AC at the compressor shaft. As you might guess, I have no money. The cost of repair is more than the value of the car, so I'm just adding a little R-134a a couple of times during the summer. I've got a digital thermometer that I stick in the air vent and add refrigerant until the temperature drops from 80 degrees to 52 degrees. At that point, I notice that adding more refrigerant doesn'nt do much for lowering the vent temperature. Eventually, I see that the condensation on the lines coming out of the evaporator begins to frost over so I stop and disconnect at that point.

This has worked well for me but I thought I would ask if you might know a better way. Like measuring the temperature of the compressor low pressure line about 4 inches from where it enters the compressor.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

PJx wrote:

Perhaps get rid of 'em all but one so you don't spend as much on insurance and registration...

134a wasn't really in use until 1994 model. What kind of car 1994 or newer has a value less than air conditioner repair?

Your way is as good as a hack is going to get. The only right way is to use manifold gauges and thermometers.

Reply to
AC/DCdude17

Basically is the oil compatible. R-134 needs a very different oil. There are some retrofit kits for R-12 systems that are legal for DIY if a EPA certified tech evacuates the system of R-12.

Right except for the wrong answer on the last one.

The only "right" way is weigh in. Modulating the compressor clutch leads to unstable pressures. EPA requires amount of refrigerant weight be clearly labeled on all cars since 1994 and all retrofitted cars.

gerry

Reply to
gerry