Does she need a bigger breaker box?

The stuff is technically called Korduct. It was a VERY common underground electrical conduit in years past.

They are doing a lot of trenchless replacement with PVC over the years. Still a fair amount of Johns Manville fibre cement siding around here.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Your electricity is cheaper than ours.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

He's American and therefore gullible enough to actually believe what you just wrote.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I have just never heard of it down here and I can't find a reference in any of my NECs (back to 75)

We still have a cement siding (Hardiboard) but there is no asbestos in it now and it is softer than the stuff we had in the 50s.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

I have heard of people who seem to thing a microwave is a nuclear device. I'm not sure why.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Maybe it is because 2 generations of kids have grown up hearing that they were "nuking" their lunch.

Reply to
gfretwell

I guess that's an Americanism, never heard it in the UK. Perhaps once on a US sitcom.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

For those people who think this, I think you're right. Funny, since I think at the time everyone knew it meant as humor.

Reply to
micky

I talked to my neighbor tonight. She does trip breakers once in a while. The one for the dryer and she said another one too, she didn't remember which. I suggested she keep track.

But not the main breaker.

So could it be just that those breakers are old and weak?

I called the woman who had the hot-tub installed. She's moved now but she might remember what her electricity was, if it was enough for the tub or she had to increase it. By coincidence I noticed that her old house had been on zillow for just one day, and the pictures show that the rooms have no furniture**. If they have an open house, I'll check out the breaker box. **And the pictures show half the deck, with no roof, no walls, and no hot tub! Maybe it's in the half I can't see. Satellite view is unclear. In theory I'm allowed to walk behind the houses and look at them, but the older I get the more reluctant I get.

I called my ex-next-door neighbor whose husband redid the bathroom, including the plumbing inside the wall. He'll probably know, but she might have changed her cell number. The message gives her name but very quickly. She hasn't called back either.

I thought I could find a real estate agent how had sold one of these houses, but it doesn't seem simple to find one.

////

Reply to
micky

The dryer tripping the breaker might be troubling if it is really a

30a because they should only pull around 22a. I have seen them happily running on a 25. (with 12ga wire). Obviously not legal. There may be a problem in the dryer tho. That is still no indication that she needs a service upgrade. The question is if she trips the main.
Reply to
gfretwell