Does she need a bigger breaker box?

Okay, I see.

If it was really named a subpanel, maybe the contractor got a bargain on subpanels and used them for main panels. I have a friend in another n'hood with a detached house who had an apartment put into her basement and they used a smoke detector that can be linked and synced with other detectors, even though she has only one of them. Probably because that's the only detector the contractor buys and he buys a case at a time.

Reply to
micky

Even though we're talking about 60, 100, or 200 amps? Even though "current" works here, how can amperage also not be appropriate?

I just use t he words other people use.

A measure of the amount of volts.

Reply to
micky

When an American (I'm British) says they have a 100A supply, what does that mean? Can you draw 100A at 220V or at 110V? In the UK we only have a single 220V supply.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Even xmas lights with bulbs used about 20 watts a set. Just how many did you have?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 22:33:05 -0000, trader_4 wro= te:

Depends on the house, I've only seen ones you have to climb up to see in= small flats where there was nowhere else to install it.

-- =

Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa =A335K: Your main duties will include: Hampering other staff and preventing them from carrying on with their du= ties. Handing out huge quantities of pointless paperwork consuming approx 1 ra= inforest per year.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would insurance care about how much power you have available?

And once you have a mortgage you can drop the insurance :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What are "decks" in British English? Do you mean a patio?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I love the way you call a boiler a furnace. Slight exaggeration isn't it? In the UK a furnace would be a huge commercial installation for smelting metal.

Same goes for "truck" - I gather you say truck for a 4x4 / SUV / etc. In the UK a truck is 50 tonnes and carts cargo around. You need an HGV license for it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The phone camera worked well. 60 amps. On the bar connecting the two breakers.

I can see more than a foot of the cable, but it only says "A type SE". It certainly looks big enough to hold three 4-gauge wires.

There's a meeting coming up this week but the meeting gets mostly women, and I can't think of anyone in the n'hood who knows as much about the construction, electric, plumbing, etc. as I do. (I don't know as many of them as I used to. I thought that all men knew about all these things, plus how to fix cars, but I've gradually learned it's not true.)

I"ve got the original advertising, which the seller had saved and he gave me, but I'm sure that doesn't go into the electrical.

Maybe I'll call some local real estate agent tomorrow and she what she says.

There is another set of houses about 4 miles from here that are just like mine, just 10" wider.

I have no doubt that it's 60, only whether it's really hard to sell the house without upgrading. Maybe the wire from the street is 100 and all that needs be done is change the main breaker from 60 to 100? Maybe they put in a 60 main breaker because in practice, no one in this house would go over 60? I never do.

Reply to
micky

This one is from Edmonton, too. That makes 5 that are and none in Canada that aren't. Is Edmonton the electric capital of Canada?

It looks nothing like mine. Its cover is two piece (with a zig-zag boundary, no less), it's got a separate main breaker, the cover is held on with security screws, and it's much smaller, 16 slots. Mine has 4x2 1x2 12x1 6x1 empty. or maybe 8. -----

28 slots. or 30.

Reply to
micky

BTW, in all this discussion, I haven't seen one of the very first questions answered. Why does she think she needs an upgrade to begin with? Is the main breaker tripping? For all we know she wants it because the light in the bathroom flickers.

And assuming she really does need/want one, then seems the logical thing to do is get at least one electrician in as the next step. Then you'll know what's going on.

Reply to
trader_4

I also shouldn't ignore the label in the box, but it says Murray brand,

150 amps surface mount, 150 amps flush mount.

Of course that doesn't say how big the wire from the street to the house is. But if it is big enough for 100amps, I think all she needs to do is replace the 60amp breaker with a 100 amp breaker and she'll be done, right?

Reply to
micky

They are two things in the US (and elsewhere, I'm sure.) A boiler has to have something to boil, water for steam heat. Possibly water for hot water heat, but I don't know for sure.

A furnace that just heats air is not a boiler.

We have those too. We also have smelt that you eat.

I don't think people call an SUV a truck. But they were built on truck frames, whatever that was, to get around iirc the gas mileage requirement that was applied to cars. So for regulation purposes the federal government ranks them with trucks, but I don't think anyone calls them that.

OTOH, there are half-ton pickup trucks that are trucks even though they can only carry about 1000 pounds. They are trucks because they are designed to carry cargo more than people, and pickup trucks don't even have a roof, so you can carry big cargo.

We have those too.

Reply to
micky

I thought in Brittain those were Lorries? Or is that between a vanette and a truck?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Unless we are all missing something, yes. Murray is Seimens now.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A patio is an area usually behind the house covered by stone, bricks, or concrete. It's ground level. A deck is a raised platform usually made of wood with railings. So a house could have a deck above the patio.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

But then there are pool decks, which are concrete at ground level too. It gets a bit confusing.

Reply to
trader_4

In the UK it normally heats water to about 70-80C to flow round radiators to heat the house. And a similar temperature for hot water taps or to a tank to supply the taps later.

Why are they more popular in the US? We just don't like them here:

The fish?

This is what I mean - don't Americans call these trucks?

James Wilkinson Sword

In the UK, truck and lorry are similes. They both mean this:

James Wilkinson Sword

Yeah we call those decks too, but hardly requiring special codes for building work. Most people just make them themselves. It's not like you're holding the house up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword