Do you know whether quiet rock will block out the following noise?

The person who lives in the apartment above me has been venting on me by do= ing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes= etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by talki= ng at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so th= at she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might as = well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station coming = out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercials = and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast the= ir commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs are o= n.

Does quiet rock work well enough so that during the summertime at odd hours= I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-con= ditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

Reply to
Christopher Protter

I've got to admit, this is a lot of work, and creativity, for a troll.

.

Does quiet rock work well enough so that during the summertime at odd hours I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-conditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One obvious issue would be if this is an apartment, does he have permission to put up quiet rock? It obviously isn't going to be cheap and it will probably piss off the upstairs person even more while it's going on. If the issue is just late night radio, perhaps some quality earbuds would be an easier solution.

Reply to
trader4

Hang it with these so as not to piss off the upstairs neighbor:

DerbyDad03

doing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing box= es etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by tal= king at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so = that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might a= s well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station comin= g out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercial= s and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast t= heir commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs are= on.

rs I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-c= onditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

probably better to pull downthe cieling, install sound dampening insulation. mount new drywall the sound deadening type, on rails to minimize sound transmission

Reply to
bob haller

Sound dampening only helps cut down on interior wall reverberation. It does little to prevent sound transmission. Mass is needed, and studding, or joists, that are only drywalled on one side. Isolated system.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There is a fire/sound insulation, a lot thicker and heavier than fiberglass batts, which will attenuate better than fiberglass batts. Still need isolated studs.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

me by doing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by talking at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might as well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station coming out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercials and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast their commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs are on.

hours I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-conditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

-------

Quiet rock? Hell, get a 5000 watt sound system, crank it wide open, and play Heavy Metal music, 24/7.

Reply to
fred.flintstone

things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by talking at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might as well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station coming out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercials and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast their commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs are on.

can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-conditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

You could try egg-flats. One tiny nail in each one won't be a disaster if it doesn't work--a little spackle and your back to square one. I once did the walls, doors, and ceiling of a small bedroom that way, and the effect was amazing. About the only sounds noticed (that weren't created inside the room) were the vague, bassy rumblings from big-rigs on the road about 50 yards away. It was actually erie!

Reply to
croy

doing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing bo= xes etc. I can only take this to mean that I am really disturbing her by ta= lking at night. Therefore I got the idea to put quiet rock on my ceiling so= that she can't hear me anymore and I figure that while I'm at it, I might = as well find out if the quiet rock will block out a talk radio station comi= ng out of a laptop radio. Sirius radio raises the volume of their commercia= ls and so much so that if I leave the volume on a level that doesn't blast = their commercials, then I can't hear what's being said when the programs ar= e on.

urs I can play the radio louder than usual in order to hear it over my air-= conditioner? The quiet rock would only be on the ceiling.

Carpeting the walls and ceiling with a heavy carpet or thick undercarpet latment stuff will also isolate a room fairly well

Reply to
hrhofmann