Clear or translucent roof panels

Several years ago I installed a row of clear or translucent (can't remember which -- now looks translucent) roof panels on a pole barn. Recently I've noticed that where this panel passes over the wooden joists and at the lapped edge the material has blackened and some places apparently melted. I will avoid using this material in the future.

Might have been this stuff:

Tuftex 96" Clear Corrugated Plastic Roof Panel

Reply to
Davej

That was a stupid-ass thing to do.

No self-respecting farmer would use plastic corrugated panels on a pole barn. Galvanized tin/steel is what they use.

Plastic panels are for home-owner backyard projects with a life expectancy of about 5 years.

Reply to
Home Guy

I've seen a lot of fiberglass used for farm roofs. Not always the entire roof but often individual panels used as cheap skylights. It's also not uncommon to see fiberglass used on the entire roof of smaller buildings.

Reply to
krw

Again we welcome a request for help with warmth and compassion. Jeesssszzzzz!!

If you read his post you might have understood he did what many pole- barn builders do, and have done for years. Installed an occasional strip of translucent or transparent material in the roof to allow sunlight in for illumination.

I have used greenhouse grade correlated polycarbonate panels on other applications with some pretty good success (I think it is called Suntuf). The greenhouse poly isn't nearly as expensive as sheet polycarbonate which would probably be cost prohibitive. I think I paid on the order of $30 per 12' x 26"' sheet plus the screws and rubber shapes to seal it to the frame work. The application I used it for was some 4' x 6' basement window well covers for our home. They are supposed to resist impact of 1" hail and they have been tested in that respect (successfully).

I suspect you will have to replace them in time because as with any similar product UV will get to them. Our covers have been in place for about three years and the poly looks as good, and as clear, as it did when new.

BTW Home Guy -- Are you a farmer???

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Hot sun'll do it...

If you do try again use a piece of reflective tape underneath at the joists/ends; I've not observed the problem at the edges. But, if it were painted any color not quite light I can see it possibly happening; w/ galvanized it's bright enough reflection is sufficient to prevent or at least minimize problem.

The fiberglass panels while not clear will stand up to the heat "more better" as somebody else noted.

I seem to have lost the link; somebody posted a u-tube link to a group using one-liter clear bottles inserted in roofs as skylights. (The application was in the tenement areas in Philippines and the like but would work for barns, etc., just as well.) The amount and distribution inside was remarkable. I've intended to try one in the old machine shed here but haven't yet gotten one of the required round tuits... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I found it. I was thinking it was from Lowe's but here are a couple of HD items and links to hardware:

RonB

Reply to
RonB

If the truth hurts...

We have no idea if that was the intended use of plastic panels - and the OP says plastic - not fiberglass.

Now if the OP will man-up and come back here and post more details - such as how large this barn is and if indeed he only has a few of these panels for illumination vs covering the entire roof - then we can debate this further.

I know several that are good friends / relatives and I'm familliar with farm and agricultural practices.

Reply to
Home Guy

Anyone who has been on or near a farm with similar structures knows exactly what his need is.

RonB

Reply to
RonB