Discount calculations

I bought some shutters for the house last week. I ordered them from Lowes. Looking over the bill was interisting. I ordered 6 pairs. The bill shows all were listed at $ 51.78. One pair was listed seperately with a $ 2.64 discount as I used a Lowes card that gives a 5% discount. The other 5 pairs had a $ 2.58 discount. Maybe that one at $ 2.64 discount was to make up for the extra .009. I would have thought they would have just taken the 5 % off the total bill before tax.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

So the question is why discount individually? One reason I can think of, if you return one of them. Even if they are custom and can't be returned, it's easier to do things the same way for custom too.

I guess the extra 6c is like you say. Somehow the tax on each x 6 was less than the tax would have been on all 6, so they discount it 6 cents more to be fair. Or maybe it's the 5% discount x 6 that was 6c too low. My head hurts.

Reply to
micky

I wasnot going to get my head hurting over a few cents. I just thought it odd the way it was done.

They were just standard off the shelf shutters. Nothing special at all.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

No shit. You'd be hard pressed to find anything special at lowes or home depot, you dimwit.

Reply to
Oren

That is just the way the Lowes point of sale system works. I get the

10% discount and it always shows up on each item. Why the number is different is strange tho unless they are just compensating for a rounding error or something.
Reply to
gfretwell