any way to repair cheap, leaky single stage vacuum pump?

Two years ago, I purchase a pump almost identical to the one here:

I have seldom used the pump since that time, but upon inspection today, I noticed that about half the oil has leaked out of it. Not from the oil port, but I can't really tell where. Is it possible to diagnose and repair this pump? Tutorials or instructions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
BillyBob

Does it still work? How about refilling with oil and identify where it's leaking from? If it works, maybe you can continue to use it and just orient it when stored so oil won't seep out? Fixing it would depend on whether it's leaking from a gasket, a shaft seal, etc. If it's a gasket, if a replacement isn't available, some RTV could work.

Reply to
trader_4

Now that I don't know. I was thinking of refilling and trying it out over the weekend. I definitely couldn't spot the leak source as it was.

If it works, maybe you can continue to use it and

Well, one thing I at least did do, was make sure it was in a large plastic bin immediately after its arrival. I never trust anything oil filled and stored indoors. So all the oil leaked into the plastic bin it was stored in.

Fixing it would depend

I wonder if a video is available for pump disassembly if it comes to that. These cheapo pumps seem to all be the same, just sold under different brand names and sellers.

Reply to
BillyBob

I had one of those and it was junk when I got it. It never would pull a decent vacuum.

Reply to
gfretwell

Google for the pump name and video. There is a lot of stuff on YouTube, if not for the exact pump, maybe for a similar one that would give you and idea of how it comes apart, etc. They sure have helped me a lot doing car repairs and similar.

Reply to
trader_4

Last ditch suggestion, refill with slightly thicker oil??

Reply to
micky