Thinking of setting thermostat for single stage heat pump instead of two stage

I am thinking of setting my thermostat to single stage this winter The heat pump is two stage but the heating bill is very high the months when the second stage kicks on (and it kicks on a lot). Is it ok to do this or will it make it worse or cause a problem?

Reply to
Saucer Man

Hmmm, You sound very illogical. You want comfort or saving money. You can turn down the 'stat or turn the pump off altogether. Which you want?

2nd stage kicks in to reach your comfort level. Right?
Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you have issues, you need to get the system checked by somebody who know WTF they are doing. Replacing the thermostat isn't going to do anything for your high bills. A thermostat is nothing more than a temperature controlled ON/OFF SWITCH. Replacing the thermostat is like saying "My car isn't running right. maybe if I put a new key in the ignition switch...."

Reply to
Steve

No matter how you slice it, its going to take X amount of btus to keep the home warm. Cheapest way to save on heating bills is to insulate.

Reply to
The King

Nope - sweaters :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Ok, OK, that's 'portable mobile insulation' :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Hey dumbfuck, mebbe That One's trailer park mom can rent you her other sagging tit, whilst she's re-feeding That. The OP didn't say anything about replacing 'stats -- he's asking about stages.

Man, don't you """pro's""" understand yer own effing profession? Or Englich? goodgawd....

Oh yeah, great job on that other noise problem.... Howzat recording studio of your doin?

Reply to
Existential Angst

I think you have the chicken and the egg turned around. The second stage kicks in on colder days. Most compressor driven equipment are most efficient when running wide open.

Makes me wonder if the emergency heat is kicking in with the second stage. Like the guys say, call a heating tech from your area. Explain the situation, and ask to have the system checked over.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You forgot to hold up three fingers...

Reply to
The King

Ok, no crap from me. I will assume the first stage runs the heat pump and the second stage resistive heating. Since you can get more heating per KWhour from the pump, you can try single stage. A properly designed heat pump will not be ruined this way, but if it is quite cold outside, the savings from a pump over resistive heat diminishes and also may not keep you warm enough.

David

Reply to
David

You're seeing the bad side of the trade. Sadly, so.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Personally, I lock out all of my own electric strip heating ( including upon defrost ) up until the point where the outdoors temps drop into the mid teens which is where our heat pump simply cannot maintain target temperature even though running constantly....the result here in SW WA( since we are primarily sized for heating load instead of cooling ) is about a 40% reduction in electric costs.

Once it gets to this point though it actually does get to be a bit more tricky ( and also gets even more tricky to try and explain )...short story is that when you finally do bring in the electric strips you need to be aware of the effect of "recovery time" and understand that if you are running any "nightime" or "away from home" programmed temp setbacks" then they need to be a fairly severe temp drop and also of a rather long duration or else you can actually end up losing whatever gains you might have otherwise gotten...for this reason, it's better to have total installed wattage of heat strips towards the high side whenever possible.

Reply to
Uhh Clem

It is much simplier to set thermostat to lower teperature don't you think so!

Reply to
Grumpy

It is much simplier to set thermostat to lower teperature don't you think so!

Reply to
Grumpy

It is much simplier to set thermostat to lower teperature don't you think so!

Reply to
Grumpy

Just put in a low temperature thermostat to run that system. Don't mess with anything else other then to perhaps to add a failure reporting system to alert you or your agent of problems. There are also some very nice internet monitoring systems that allow you to check everything in the house from anywhere. I am assuming that you may not be there this winter. There is a good reason for 2 stage sytems and it is already saving you money. We have thermostats that go to 35ºF.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Richard

Fuck off you spamming Cocksuker!