Furnace oil pump 2 stage vs single

I have a kerosene fueled forced air heater attached to my garage ceiling, about 8 feet off the floor. The oil tank is on the ground, outside. Recently the pump stopped working. The line is definitely not clogged or frozen and the collar behind the pump is fine. It has a Webster 2 stage pump. The local store had in stock, and recommended, a Suntec single stage (A2VA-7116). I put it on, cracked the bleed valve, and it still will not pump oil through the line. I'm not sure what the difference bewteen a 2 & a single stage pump. Do I need a 2 stage to bring the oil up to the furnace? Knowing that the line is free of obstruction, is there anything else that would prevent the pump from doing its job?

Thanks! Kevin

Reply to
Buck Family

You're at the limit of allowable lift for that pump. To get it to pump first time, you may need to prime it with oil injected manually into the pump gears.

The system will likely need a good check valve near the tank to prevent loss of prime.

Details:

Speedy Jim

So would a 2 stage pump be beteer?

Reply to
Buck Family

Did you change the coupler? Are you sure that wasn't the problem with the first pump? The couple can "look" good, but it could be stripped out and it's not turning the pump or not turning it fast enough.

If you are only 8 feet off the floor, a single stage should be fine. You are probably best off to make it a two-line system. You'll have less problems with it if you do. But, if running a secong line isn't feasable, you may have to prime the pump a little and it would be a good idea to put a check valve in the line as close to your tank as you can. Also, make sure all of your flare connections are good. If you have a bad flare or a loose nut, you are going to have a real problem getting oil to the burner.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Put the pump on the other end so it pushes the oil up to the furnace.

Reply to
"Blattus Slaf