Damn, it's cold

Of course we have heat in our schools. That's why the schools are air-conditioned.

We didn't build the world's first air-conditioned sports stadium to be ostentatious! Well, maybe a little...

Reply to
HeyBub

So, why was the town disabled, as mentioned in your first message? Just because it was 38 degrees? Or did something else happen?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

on 12/17/2007 12:42 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

No search results on 'fireplace' in that code. The closest match is Ch. 100: Smoke and Air Pollution Control which mentions smoke and nuisances.

100-3 Dense smoke is hereby declared to be a nuisance, and the emission or escape thereof from any locomotive, tug, boat, stack, chimney or flue of any premises, building, fuel-burning equipment, roundhouse, portable equipment or other similar contrivance or from any open fire shall be unlawful; provided, however, that the following exceptions to the provisions of this section shall be permitted. 100-4 A. No person shall cause, suffer or allow to be emitted into the open air from any fuel-burning equipment or premises, or to pass a convenient measuring point nearest to the stack outlet, dust in the gases to exceed 0.85 pounds per 1,000 pounds of gases, adjusted to 50% excess air for products of combustion, excepting that for fuel-burning equipment or premises constructed subsequent to the effective date of this chapter, a minimum dust-collecting efficiency of at least 85% shall be required for special dust-separating equipment, and that for fuel-burning equipment or premises constructed prior to the effective date of this chapter, a minimum dust-collecting efficiency of at least 75% shall be required for special dust-separating equipment. The limitations given shall be waived during periods when breakdown of equipment occurs such as to make it evident that the emission was not reasonably preventable. The amount of solids in the gases shall be determined according to the Test Code for Dust-Separating Apparatus of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, revised and amended to date, which is hereby made a part of this chapter by reference. 199-4 B. Acid or other fumes, noxious gases, strong odors, dust, dirt, soot, cinders and fly ash, emitted or allowed to escape in such quantity or volume as to be detrimental to the public or to endanger the health and safety of the public or to cause the injury or damage to the property or business of any person, are hereby declared a nuisance, and the emission or escape thereof from any locomotive, tug or boat, stack, chimney or flue of any premises, building, combustion equipment, roundhouse, portable equipment or other similar contrivance or from any open fire shall be unlawful.
Reply to
willshak

I wonder how people get away with driving Chrysler/Dodge mini-vans, then.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You can also assume a large loss of efficiency within the first three minutes of operation when someone decides to spray paint the collector.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Here in NY, I've been walking around in underwear and undershirt all day.

Under my clothes, that is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Needs a catalytic converter, reduced NOx emissions, data uplink, computer controlled draft, and a serial number for taxation purposes. And the California model has automatic rolling blackout, that extinguishes the fire every four hours. More or less, it's some what random.

I'm only half teasing, I expect all of these "improvements" within a few years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Its a standing joke around Portland Oregon that when a snowflake is seen at the Whistler ski resort north of Vancouver, B.C., the entire PDX metro area shuts down, canclling schols until July.

The local tv stations compete to out do each other with Cassandra inspired predictions of weather catastrophies which never ocurr.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Tightly rolled newspapers soaked in used motor oil.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site:

David Starr

As also are politicians, but for different reasons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

we burn what we have. When you heat 100% with wood, you burn what's available. If it happens to be green, then so be it. You just have to burn it a bit hotter to keep the chimney clean.

S. Barker

I tell you what works well along side the oil soaked paper rolls. Put in the whole used spin on oil filters. Those some beaches get hot and send a flame out the end that doesn't quit for several minutes. They work great if you have a supply of them.

S. Barker

Ya got that right! Just went through it last week end. Starting Tuesday they were hyping the big storm coming with up to 5" of snow starting Sat evening. By Thurdsday they were down to the "WINTER STORM WARNING, RUN! HIDE!" and kept up the fever pitch through the evening news on Sat with nothign happening except a few flurries. Late news at 11 they were toning it down. First words on the morning news Sun morning "It tapered off about midnight".

Hey dummies, it didn't taper off, it never started.

Not to mention that a 5" snowfall back when would only get a minor mention in the news.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

on 12/17/2007 2:05 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:

That's nothing. Here in NY at 12º F, I've been walking around naked under my clothes. :-)

Reply to
willshak

on 12/17/2007 6:12 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:

Politicians are like diapers (UK-nappies). They should be changed often, and for the same reason. Robin Williams as Presidential candidate Tom Dobbs in "Man of the Year"

Reply to
willshak

That saying is much older than Robin Williams. I think Will Rogers said it first.

Reply to
Doug Miller

on 12/18/2007 10:06 AM Doug Miller said the following:

Could be, but Will Rogers died 2 years before I was born. I first heard it by Williams.

Reply to
willshak

You are so right. You are far more courageous than I am. I'd never in a million years go out naked under my clothes. How can you be so wild and daring?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought maybe George Washington? Or Henry the III?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In relation to EPA certified woodstoves and the broader question of the environmental impacts of burning wood, this story appeared in the December 16th edition of the Toronto Star.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge