Damn, it's cold

"S. Barker"

Dunno but he's either the same person or another who thinks there really is such a thing. Perhaps it's a marketing scam some folks buy into?

Now safety compliant, yes. How it's vented and such. The only 'EPA' relevance I can think of, have to do with what you burn, not what you burn it in. Dont use treated wood for example due to the chemicals which can be carginogenic when burning.

Reply to
cshenk

Got down to 38F last night in Houston.

Had to put on all the clothes I owned. Even had to get another blanket.

From the attic.

At least we didn't have to evacuate to a shelter like so many. Fortunately, we have plenty of food; neighbors are stocking up on canned goods and bottled water.

I'm not sure whether they're going to close the schools or the roads. Mail delivery is likewise iffy.

Reply to
HeyBub

:)

Mother's family in The Valley around Pharr/McAllen area -- used to go down for Christmas on occasion. Invariably would be in 40s/low 50s and wet/damp. W/ no heat of significance in house would feel colder more miserable than if stayed home in 20F conditions...

We're toasty this AM at 19F -- areas around w/ heavier snowfall/ice at the 0-10F mark. No wind today and bright sun, so feels pretty good, actually.

--

Reply to
dpb

Awww...I feel for you. I just chunked a couple pieces on the fire. Must be up to around 74 in here now as I sit typing in my t-shirt and shorts. Was out restocking the porch from the woodshed yesterday with windchill down around 10.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

WHAT??? Evacuate? Shelter?

Sounds like springtime to me.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"HeyBub" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

These suth-un-ers don't know what cold is. But seriously, glad you're safe.

Reply to
TD

dpb, my folks are in Harlingen, so I know what you are talking about. Planning to get down there next weekend. Our neighborhood was built in

1957--we moved there in Jan. 1961. All the houses have gas jets in every room for space heaters, but the original owners of our house had central heat added. Funny, we the only ones with CH for years, and then one of the last to get central air. I put in the system in 1995. We started off with 2, and ended up with 5 window shakers before that. If you go down there for the Holidays, have a good trip. Larry Btw, when we moved there, Harlingen and McAllen were about the same size--not anymore for sure. McAllen is a big city, Harlingen still nothing.
Reply to
lp13-30

38F above zero?

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

That's about the last time I was in the Valley -- after grandparents passed didn't make it much. Their place is outside town a ways still; part of the first citrus folks moved there from E KS during the 30s. Uncle still has the place although they've only put back very small fraction of the orchards since the major freezes of what--15-20 years ago or so, now I guess...

--

Reply to
dpb

You DO know that burning wood is very BAD for the environment! I guess you don't care much about the health of the planet.

Reply to
Madx

You ARE kidding, right?

S. Barker

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:52:50 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote Re Damn, it's cold:

It went down to 34F here in north Alabama. Of course, being in the north we are used to the cold, but still.....

When is global warming going to kick in?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:52:44 -0800, "Madx" wrote Re Re: Damn, it's cold:

Wood burning is carbon-neutral in any period less than roughly 100 years.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Last night here in California we were advised that there was a spare the air alert and to refrain from wood fires. So if it is not harmful why would it be all over the news NOT to make a fire?

Reply to
Madx

Actually well seasoned wood when burned properly in a decent stove emits about the same amount of C02 as the same tree, fallen and left to rot on the forest floor.

Reply to
robson

Hi, How about adding a "-" sign in front of that number. I am in Calgary, Alberta, Last 10 days we had -20C weather with some snow as well. Nothing to it, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's currently the PC position comes to mind?

More realistically in a metro area it is a particulate source which can be a problem.

--

Reply to
dpb

That's warm. Las Vegas has been down to 32F the past two nights. I'm freezing. It was only 34F this morning - two hours after sun rise!

Reply to
Oren

...which is exactly why it was made illegal here (Rochester NY) at some point in the past.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

it would have to exist first.

Reply to