Damn, it's cold

I won't hold my breath for snow, but I have the heat on right now as it is 39 degrees...lol

Reply to
Ron

Burning *anything* is carbon neutral in the long run (for sufficiently large values of "long").

Reply to
Doug Miller

Whale oil is a renewable resource.

Reply to
HeyBub

Burning wood in fireplaces is not allowed inside the city limits of Rochester.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Wow, that sounds miserable. 38F? You have my compassion. What will you ever do!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless I missed it, he never explained why his neighborhood was so disabled? Just because of low temps? Don't they have heat in their schools?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Please show me an online citation for this assertion of yours. I have never heard of such a thing, and many people use their fireplaces in the city of Rochester.

Reply to
KLS

on 12/17/2007 8:02 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Awful lot of homes and apartments for sale or rent in Rochester, NY advertising fireplaces. Google - fireplace rochester ny

Reply to
willshak

Soo.... *all* fireplaces burn wood, you're saying?

Reply to
Banty

Only seriously questioning that _all_ burn something *other than* wood, actually...

Reply to
dpb

ya i bet a good load of green hedge would plug that yuppified thing up in a hour.

S. Barker

dpb wrote: ...

That being "groves", of course -- clearly the flatland wheat farmer doesn't know diddley about citrus... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

APPARENTLY, they think 38 is cold or something.

12 here as i type. might have to get the coat out of storage. s

Reply to
S. Barker

The response I was looking for was "How cold was it?"

I miss Johnny Carson.

--jack

Reply to
jhasbro

I guess that presupposes anyone would be dumb enough to burn anything green in a woodstove regardless of its kind. Be that as it may, a non-catalytic would be the better performer; well, at least up to the point the chimney catches on fire. ;-)

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Yep. A lot of construction, air flow, low pollution, etc regulations have to met to even sell a stove now-a-days. I don't think you can even produce a non-compliant stove for the market any more.

The 'compliant' sstoves are far more efficient and produce way less pollutants than the old "Iron box with a hole" types.

Of course the 'efficiency' and 'pollutant' bits rely on them being operated correctly.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Okay, you provide it and I will use it to for my next tank fill. There is practical and then there is pie in the sky.

When it comes to heating, it is a necessary evil and must be done somehow. Currently there are no 'clean' methods that are economically viable. Someone will spring up now with "solar" ignoring the "economically viable" bit. When someone can show me where an entry level house can be totally solar at a reasonable cost...

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Nope. But not many specifically say gas or electric fireplace. I searched 9 pages under that google search and there was no mention of any law banning wood burning fireplaces. I googled on 'wood burning fireplace rochester ny' and there are houses for sale featuring wood burning fireplaces. Still no reference to a ban on wood burning fireplaces. I suppose Joe will provide a cite.

Reply to
willshak

I can't. It's against the law.

Do the math. About 745 watts per sq meter falls on the earth's surface. On the equator. At noon. With no clouds. The only way to increase this number is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun.

Assuming 70% efficiency for solar collectors, and adjusting for latitude and

40% cloud cover, it would take a collector farm the size of the Los Angeles basin (~1200 sq miles) to provide power for California (~50GW).

Overlooking the cost to build and maintain 1200 sq miles of collectors, the people of Los Angeles would have to fight in the shade.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's the information I got from two realtors back in 1982, when I was shopping for my first house. I said "fireplace", they said "not in the city limits". It was confirmed by the guy who inspected and cleaned our fireplace, who said "Two blocks west and you'd be in the city. No fireplace use allowed". Maybe it changed.

I don't have time to check, but you can, if you like:

JoeSpareBedroom