Damn, it's cold

That position and PC effect are moving East. Buy a house in NV and you get disclaimers about what CA has declared...

SD and SF did a lights out program awhile back. Turn off the lights for a night or something like that.

For years wood burning has been banned in Las Vegas. Homes built earlier with a real fire place were grand fathered and still are allowed to use wood for heat.

A week ago my furnace needed a repair. I used the gas fire place and fake logs to warm up a little. :)

Reply to
Oren

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:48:09 -0800, "Madx" wrote Re Re: Damn, it's cold:

The original post referred to wood burning being bad for the *planet*. The LA or SF or SD air basins are not the planet. They are environmental aberrations cause by man over crowding a basin created by too many people in one place, mountains, on-shore breezes and inversions.

You people in La La land think the world evolves around you but it doesn't.

Moron

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Evacuate, stock up on food, closing schools & roads, no mail........ What happened, somebody see a snowflake?

High here today, 29 F, with 10 inches of new snow. Just a typical day, no big deal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site:

David Starr

When Al Snore practices what he preaches, I might listen. Until then, I found a place that gave me 129 trillion carbon credits free, so I'm all set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site:

David Starr

Hah, I was running the AC last night. (Fl)

Reply to
Ron

Maybe you haven't live there long enough to see it snow in Miami. Your turn is coming.

Reply to
Oren

Hurricanes, lightening strikes, tornadoes, wild fires. I'll keep my 4 seasons tyvm.

Reply to
robson

In Houston Today it was so cold......

Reply to
jhasbro

I suppose it's what your used to. When a hurricane heads our way, vistors look down and say "Feet, make tracks!" while we natives stock up on beer and strawberry pop-tarts. Can't have a party without pop-tarts.

We're starting to take hurricanes a bit more seriously, though. Last one that affected our area, Katrina, missed us by almost 200 miles. What it DID do, however, was bother us with 250,000 evacuees from New Orleans, a great number of which were criminals.

In the intervening two years, most of these criminals have been killed off or are in Texas jails ("Whatch yo' mean, I can't be walkin' in my 'hood with a Malt an' a toke?"), but why go to the trouble. In today's Houston paper:

"[Evacuees] seeking to escape the next hurricane or state emergency by evacuation bus will first be submitted to criminal background checks, the state's emergency management director says."

Appease the gods of wind and water with human sacrifice, I always say.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote

=== All because it's 38 degrees?? Surely you jest.

Reply to
Gini

It will snow there, also.

Reply to
Oren

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:67h9j.509$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

You mean outside? People have plenty of fireplaces in the home and make fires in them.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Here in Texas I walked around in shorts and a t-shirt.

Reply to
CJT

Uh, maybe it's specific to YOUR location, and how some folks operate non-EPA-compliant woodstoves. Think: population density & inversion layering.

So your blanket statement is kinda irrelevant here.

John

Reply to
barry

You're joshin' me?

Reply to
Oren

A bit jealous? A bit undereducated on the question?

Well, yes it is and no it isn't. Depends. If one burns "dirty" it is. If clean it isn't. I assume you are talking about two things.

Pollution: A modern airtight is almost polution free. I would be putting almost the same amount of pollution out burning fuel oil.

Carbon: Burning wood in the long run is carbon neutral as the carbon locked up in the wood _will_ be freed sometime due to either fire or rot. Of course in the short term it adds co2.

But there is another side to the carbon question. If I don't burn wood, my only other economic choice is fuel oil. Is it better to be burnign a non-renewable, co2 adding resource or burn a renewable (wood), co2 adding (short term) resource?

Looks like wood is not "bad" but at least a 50/50 trade off. In my view it comes out ahead because of the renewable resource bit.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Nope, and don't call him Shirley!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"epa compliant woodstove"??? You're kidding right? what's to be compliant about a steel box with a hole in the top?

S. Barker

I know a few years back, they were using a catalytic converter to clean the air. Has to meet a certain efficiency also, IIRC.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

EPA compliant woodstoves have a secondary combustion system that re-burns the combustion gases prior to their release. This is accomplished with either a catalyst or what are called secondary burn tubes located immediately below the top baffle (non-catalytic). The efficiency of these stoves is nearly twice that of a conventional airtight design (i.e., 75 to 80 per cent) and the amount of particulate produced is extremely low -- typically in the order of 3 grams per hour.

For a simplified overview, see:

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge