Computer Printer help

I just got a new black (61XL) cartridge for my HP 3510 all-in-one , after an hour on the line with HP support it still pops an "incompatible cartridge" message and locks up ... anybody know a workaround for this ? Probably a similar issue to using refilled cartridges , and a similar solution . I'm still on the line with HP on hold , we'll see what they offer to do - I got stuff that needs printin' ! Just got off the line , they're sending me a new cartridge . But I still want to see if there's a hack or workaround ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi, Google search shows many hits. Tried cleaning the contacts? I switched to wireless AIO color laser, couldn't be happier. Only print photos on Canon Inkjet.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've tried multiple contact cleanings , power-down and unplug then re-power , and everything else they could think of . HP is sending me a new cartridge . The wife works that dept at Walmart , she's going to try to get it swapped , so I at least end up with an extra cartridge for all my time and frustration . There used to be a hack to enable use of refilled cartridges , since most printers now have software to prevent that . All kinda moot now , except the delay in printing the stuff that started this whole clusterf**k . And that ain't actually that big of a deal , a couple of days delay isn't a big problem , just an inconvenience .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've had the problem too with re-inked cartridges. With newer printers, HP has made it increasingly difficult to use any cartridge then their own. I'm sure they sell the printers at cost and make all their money off the cartridges. I had guys at Kodak tell me that about their cameras. They made all their money off the film.

As far as my experience with them, HP support is piss poor. My wife had a printer problem that needed replacement but spent maybe 2 hours on the phone with them.

Reply to
Frank

Tony Hwang wrote in news:YW0Iw.635498$pr4.139029 @fx26.iad:

After retiring my ancient HP LJ3 I tried new HPs and Canons. Very poor operation. paper feed problems, etc. Switched to Brother HL-2240. Been using it for a long time now and still pleased.

Reply to
KenK

Nope , the printer performs just fine - with the empty black cartridge in place .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Next trip to Memphis my laser printer is coming home , along with another inkjet I have there and all the rest of my computer stuff . This turned out reasonably well , Walmart is going to warrantee the cartridge plus HP is sending one for all my time and frustration .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I think the best option is a color inkjet and a monochrome laser.

I got a Canon all-in-one laser (MF4880DW) for $130 and it's been great, though it reminds me all the time about the after-market toner cartridge. I think the current model is the Canon imageCLASS MF227dw which is $160 (B&H, Adorama, and Fry's by price-matching).

The daughter-unit has a Brother HL-2270DW at college. It was $80, double-sided and with Wi-Fi. But the Brother HL-2xxx series are very cheaply made and aren't designed for heavy use. Easy to refill the toner or buy after-market cartridges. The 2270DW was replaced by the HL-L2340DW which is $90. Avoid the Brother models that lack wireless and duplexing.

Reply to
sms

The place to fidn that would be from those who sell refilled cartridges. Maybe it's on one of their webpages, or buy a cartridge if you have to.

Then if it doesn't work, you'll have two companies to complain to!!

Reply to
micky

Hi, If you remove black cartridge what happens. Is the message "missing cartridge"? Then tri-color cartridge may have bad contcts or reseat the cartridge and try again.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Terry Coombs" wrote in news:mcq4tj$p8v$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm not a bit surprised that after an hour on the phone with HP "support" you're no closer to solving the problem than when you picked up the phone -- "Hewlett Packard" sounds a lot like "Useless Bastard" for a *reason*.

Sure. The workaround is easy: dump the HP and go buy yourself a Canon or Epson printer instead, or Brother, or Lexmark -- pretty much anything except HP.

Reply to
Doug Miller